Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure SQL Database Authentication

I believe that I've looked at all the posts on this but I can't find my answer. Sorry if it's already covered.

What is the best authentication method for accessing an Azure SQL database from the Power BI service? Our current approach is to set up a service account which can access the database. We then want to use that as the credentials for the dataset. The idea is that the service account updates the data each night and then we publish that data via an app.

However, when I try to log in with the service account it is always defaulting back to my own Office 365 account. I have discovered that I can log in to the Power BI service with the service account but I'm not sure if that is the correct method.

What route are people using for this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

As far as I know, we only need an account that has enough permission. What're your concerns?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We want this report to update every night - it doesn't need any intervention once that is in place. I'm a contractor so we can use my credentials but once I leave it won't work, which seems not ideal (and the same can be said of anyone that uses their credentials).

Typically we would access SQL Server data using a service account or an AD group (or combination of both), but I can't see how that model applies here.

I was playing around yesterday and did discover that I can log in to Power BI with the service account itself, which could be a solution.

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you can use an independent account that belongs to no one. Or just a database account.

Azure_SQL_Database_Authentication

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

That's what we're working towards. We have set up a service account on our network and that is now linked to an Office 365 account. So I'm trying to use service_account@companyname.com to access the data. We know that it works because we've logged in using SSMS and it is successful.

At the screen below, when I enter the service account details it always defaults back to my credentials.

screenshot.png

Hi @Anonymous,

Seems good in my test. Though it shows the "Windows" authentication, I still can refresh. I will check out tomorrow to see if there are any issues. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant, thank you. It could be how we've provisioned the accounts in the background.

Hi @Anonymous,

The refresh seems fine. That means the credential is stored successfully. I consulted the Product team. I will share it with you when I get the answer.

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi @Anonymous,

This is by design. The filed will be reset when the auth dialog is loaded.

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have mentioned that this is importing the data, due to the complexity of some of the measures (which aren't supported via DirectQuery).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors