Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Azure Managed VNET Gateway in Production?

We would like to start using the managed vnet gateway to connect to data sources in our production datasets.  Has anyone started using this for mission-critical applications?

It was announced about a year and a half ago:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-vnet-connectivity-for-pbi-datasets-public-previe...

However it still appears to be stuck in public preview:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/vnet/overview

Does anyone know when this will be GA? ‎Has anyone else attempted to use the managed vnet gateway?   What types of data do you connect to?  Has anyone tried to use this gateway with SQL Server data?  It appears very buggy, and fails on a regular basis - for reasons that aren't very clear to us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I also have support case open with support (Microsoft CSS), but that organization seems to have less information than what I can find in this community.  They haven't told us when we can plan to start relying on the gateway for production workloads.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

FYI, The PG team has confirmed that the GA is being pushed.  There is no new date.  The GA is planned for March or April, but this is tentative. They are currently blocked with "unexpected" bug.  So they pushed the date to the end of the first quarter of 2023.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-easonf-msft 

I realize it is in preview.  It has been in preview for almost two years.   According to the communication about the release waves, it was supposed to be finished (GA) in September.

I am already trying to get a new GA date from the product team, after the September date was missed.  But I was hoping someone in this community was closer to that team than I am.  My ticket has been open for a year, but I'm still getting some extremely poor communication from the Power BI team.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

FYI, The PG team has confirmed that the GA is being pushed.  There is no new date.  The GA is planned for March or April, but this is tentative. They are currently blocked with "unexpected" bug.  So they pushed the date to the end of the first quarter of 2023.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

FYI, The PG team has pushed the tentative GA yet again.  I think the "unexpected bug" is supposed to be fixed by the end of the third quarter of 2023.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

FYI, The PG team has pused the tentative GA yet again.  The latest GA date is said to be January 2024.  At that point the so-called "unexpected bug" should finally be resolved.

Any news on this? It's now Januari 2024. Can we expect a GA soon?

Hi @mvogt_ilionx 

Based on my discussions with this team, they have pushed the ETA once again to February.

I would recommend you open your own case with Microsoft about this.  I have been (unsuccessfully) asking this PBI team to communicate in the public, just as they did in the past.  The "vnet gateway" used to be listed in the public roadmap (so called "release waves").  Until the GA date is shown publicly, I won't really trust the communication that I've been given privately (by extension, you probably shouldn't trust the information that I'm sharing with you. )

I've been waiting for the GA for about three years.  In all honesty there are deeper problems that go beyond the Power BI team.  The underlying "private endpoint" technology for Microsoft vnet-networking is the actual problem.  The technology is unreliable and causes the PBI vnet gateway to be unstable (see PS***).  The long wait for the GA has been somewhat outside the control of the PBI team.  Even if the PBI vnet gateway goes GA in February, you may want to be very cautious about using it this year.  My understanding is that the "private endpoints" are still not fixed, and I think the PBI team is planning to introduce workarounds that cause as many problems as they solve ... like running SQL queries over and over against your data source to compensate for the network bugs.  Depending on the size of these queries this could create problems in the back-end source, or increase your Azure costs.  If your PBI datasets are smallish, then the PBI workaround might work fine for you.  Based on my experience, Microsoft assumes that 95% of their PBI customers have tiny dataset sizes, and I'm guessing they have some telemetry to corroborate that assumption.

Hope this is clear.

*** PS The underlying "private endpoint" technology for Microsoft vnet-networking is causing problems for me in other parts of Azure too.  These problems aren't limited to Power BI.  I have dozens of socket exceptions a day in ADF pipelines and Synapse Spark.  The problems force us to implement a excessive amount of retries, whenever accessing Azure network resources- even in the same region.  The ADF pipeline team requires customers to use retries as a matter of "policy".  Microsoft is totally unsympathetic to these networking problems, even though it is easy to prove that they are a result of bugs in "private endpoints" (and MPE's); the bugs don't impact public service endpoints for the same Azure services in the same region.  

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @dbeavon3 

The feature is still in preview, release date of the available version is uncertain.

It is recommended to directly consult Microsoft's relevant development team, or give feedback in the blog comment area.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors