Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lidou_Cand
Helper III
Helper III

Azure Analysis Service: Process Tabular Model with SSIS

Hello, I hope you are well. I know this is not the right place to discuss Azure Analysis Services but I have not found a forum for this product. I would like to process an Azure tabular model using SSIS but I am experiencing connection difficulties in SSIS. I think it should have a configuration to do in Azure Active Directory. Anyone have an idea on how to do this? A tutorial would help me a lot. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

Thanks for having a look into it.

What I have done is the following:
1. When creating the database connection I use a SQL account without any expiry on the account. This allows me to always be able to authenticate to the configuration database.
2. For connecting to the Azure AS to process the partitions, I have created a Service Principal which I then configured in Azure AS and within AsPartitionProcessing. I followed these steps to create and configure the Service Principal https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/en-gb/cross-industry/2018/06/22/how-to-automate-proce...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You would be best looking into possibly use the REST APIs for AAS

Or you could look at Christian Wade's AsPartitionProcessing which I am using to process, which can be found here: https://github.com/Microsoft/Analysis-Services/tree/master/AsPartitionProcessing

Power BI Blog

Hello @GilbertQ 

Thank you for your help.

I will test the Christian Wade's AsPartitionProcessing.

Have you ever used it in a production environnment ?

Hi there

I have been using in my production customers for about 2 years now with no issue. It just works!

I have even ported it into Azure using Azure Functions and Azure SQL Server serverless

Power BI Blog

Hello @GilbertQ 

I hope you are doing well.

Hello,

This weekend I looked at Christian Wade's AsPartition solution.
I tried using it locally but encountered some implementation issues due to Active Directory rights.
Speaking of which, I think you have a lot of experience with Azure AS.
In the project I am working on, our data source is a SQL Server On Premise database.
On a therefore set up a data gateway to connect us to our Azure Analysis Service server.
I would like to have your opinion concerning the impersonal account to process the model.
I encounter security difficulties to process the cube with the MFA set up by the company.
- Should we create a special login - password account especially for the model process?
- Should we instead create Application Service Principal to process the model? If so, is it complicated to set it up?

From your experience, what is your opinion?

Hi there

Thanks for having a look into it.

What I have done is the following:
1. When creating the database connection I use a SQL account without any expiry on the account. This allows me to always be able to authenticate to the configuration database.
2. For connecting to the Azure AS to process the partitions, I have created a Service Principal which I then configured in Azure AS and within AsPartitionProcessing. I followed these steps to create and configure the Service Principal https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/en-gb/cross-industry/2018/06/22/how-to-automate-proce...

Power BI Blog

Hello @GilbertQ 

Thank you for your help.
I used a service principal and that works well.

Thanks for letting us know it worked!

Power BI Blog

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I will see test this solution.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors