Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

maserr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Avoid acces to cube

Hi all,

I am trying to build applications in order to satisfy certaing role restrictions. I am managing how to achieve it but I found that using Live Connection with the tabular cube every user could log in into Power BI Desktop and see every table of the cube, even unhide them or edit a report on Power BI Service and see the cube. I am not able to apply RLS because I need global measures so if I filter data these measures would not be correct. 

How I could avoid the user to see all the cube?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @maserr ,

You would have to change your datasource.  If you datasource is open to everybody then you can't really lock it down.  If you can't lock it down with RLS I would suggest that you break up the report yourself into the multiple sections.

OR, you could just share the APP only with no ability for the individual to get to the dashboard or report and definitely not the underlying data.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for your response. What do you mean with sharing the app with no ability to get to the dashboard?

thanks

HI @maserr ,

I should have been a bit more precise - what I mean is that when you share the app, do not give them permissions.  I am specifically referring to these settings that should be off:

Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission.
Allow users to make a copy of the reports in this app.
Allow users to share the app and the app's underlying datasets using the share permission.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

in that case, the user would be still able to connect to the analysis server using Power BI Desktop, isn't it?

Thanks

Hi, @maserr 

People who have permission of  build/ App (build) have acess to  connect to the dataset using Power BI Desktop.
You can go to dataset->manage permissions to check it.

26.png

For your requirement ,please  follow tese steps.
1.Unpublish current app
2.Remove Build permission for a dataset in an app 
3.republish app to only share dashboard and report to user : not give user any permissions for the app’s underlying dataset.

25.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Dear Eason,

The user already do not have these permissions, but please do not forget that my connection is Live Connection so the user is in a role in the cube in order to access to data (in order to see data in the application and not to see the reports empty)

Thanks in advance

Hi , @maserr 

If you still have no idea about that, you can open a support ticket with MSFT to seek technical support ,  they will may better suggestions.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors