Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Autorefresh howto

Hi,

I've published a report and I want to autorefresh the dataset as often as possible. I've been reading about LiveConnectors, Report servers, Power Bi service etc etc.

In Power BI service it seems like you only are allowed to refresh once an hour and to make it go faster, you'll need a premium subscription.

Any other way to make it auto refresh faster?

10 REPLIES 10
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Anonymous 

For your case, I would suggest you use directquery in power bi.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about#when-is-directquery-useful

Data is changing frequently, and near ‘real-time’ reporting is needed Models with Imported data can be refreshed at most once per hour. Hence, if the data is continually changing, and it is necessary for reports to show the latest data, then using Import with scheduled refresh might not meet those needs. Note also that it is also possible to stream data directly into Power BI, though there are limits on the data volumes supported for this case.

Using DirectQuery, by contrast, means that opening or refreshing a report or dashboard will always show the latest data in the source. Additionally, the dashboard tiles can be updated more frequently (as often as every 15 mins).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#datasets-in-directqueryliveconnect-mode

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've been using "Import" as I didn't know that it had an effect on the published dashboard. And now I read that it's not posible to switch from import to DirectQuery. So then I need to make everything over again 😐

Don't be afraid. Establish the connection first with direct query and then copy the old report and paste it into the new report. Best Kathrin
Anonymous
Not applicable

ah, is that posible? Ok, will try. How do I copy the report? Does it copy all the measures as well, and the relations between tables?

Sadly measures must be separate copied and relationships must also set separately. But the whole front end of your report can simply copied and pasted. 🙂 Best Kathrin
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, what about the columns I've e.g changed from time and date to only date. Do I need to change them in the source in stead?

It is only the front end you can copy. Table names you changed must renamed before you paste the copied visuals in otherwise the visuals will be broke. Best Kathrin
Anonymous
Not applicable

aha, not so easy then.

If you have 20 Sites in your report than you can save a lot of time. Also you can go into the code behind the pbix and copy there but how to do this step by step is may be to much XD. Best Kathrin
KBO
MVP

Hi :),

you have the following options:
Direct Query - Connect direct to the Datasource, for example a SQL DB - the data is always actual

Live Connection - If you modeling the data in a cube in SSAS you can create a Live Connection to Power BI - Same as in Direct Query - You can create jobs tpo refresh your cube

Import - You can refresh your dataset 8 times a day in Pro in Premium 48 times - you can also trigger the datasets via Power Automate (SQL, Excel, ...) 

Hope this helps?

Best

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors