Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically rename a data export file (csv or excel)

Hello,

Is it possible to set the export csv or excel file name automatically for users so that they do not need to name the file when they extract data? Either the filename and/or a workbook name within the file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It works like I descirbed. Just make sure a visual has title. Table/matrix visuals by deafult have title disabled. Add a title.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NikNithiy
Helper I
Helper I

I want the report name in the sheet name of the exported export it is always showing as export. Any one please help

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Do you mean 'Export data' option of a visual? In Power BI Desktop it asks for a file name and you can't predefine the name. In Power BI Service it doesn't ask for a name and uses visual's title. If the visual has no title (it's disabled or blank) than default name is 'data.csv' and you can't change it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, yes I mean export a visual, such as a matrix or table. So you're saying it will export and name it the visual's title if there is one, correct?

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1596001442424.png

It is a good habit to add a title to each visual, maybe you can create a dynamic title, like this.

Measure 3 = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED(Sales[Brand]),
    "Sales of  " &SELECTEDVALUE(Sales[Brand]),
    "AAAA"
)

v-lionel-msft_1-1596001869812.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft  Is it possible to get the same thing in exported excel sheet (as a sheet name)

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thank you all! I have marked the solution appropriately. 

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It works like I descirbed. Just make sure a visual has title. Table/matrix visuals by deafult have title disabled. Add a title.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors