Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

to_be_calm
Helper I
Helper I

Automatically inserting json for push datasets instead of manually typing in the json format.

Hello everyone,

I have a list of objects with many objects in a json file. There are round about 400 objects in that list. It would be impossible to type everything by hand as I always had to do, when I wanted to add a streaming dataset, i.e. when I wanted to push data from my RestAPI to the PowerBI services or PowerBI desktop. Is there a way to just insert that json file as a template for the several values of the streaming Dataset notation instead of manually typing everything? Thanks in advance!

best regards

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Streaming datasets only accept individual "rows".  But in your process (Power Automate or Power Query) you can iterate through your JSON array and push the records one by one.

@lbendlin: But I want to create a streamingdataset via a script and not just write values in an existing streamingdataset. I have one JSON object with over 100 lines. To manually type all in, while creating the streaming dataset in the PowerBI Service would take too long. Your Microsoft document does not describe how to do that, only how to add something to an existing streaming dataset. I already know that. Thanks in advance!

@lbendlin: Thank you very much! I will try this tomorrow at work and when it works I mark your answer as the solution to my question.

@lbendlin: After very long researching I found a Microsoft documentation, which describes how to communicate with the PowerBI rest API with the help of a C# console application, which has to be registered inside the personal azure portal. The documentation can be read under: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/power-bi/developer/automation/walkthrough-push-data-create-dataset....

This C# console app works great and I can now create a dataset based on a JSON file. @lbendlin : You just posted a link to the different API instructions, which can be send to the PowerBI rest API. Therefore, it is not the real solution to my question. But, you gave me the hint, that it is in principle posssible to create a dataset with a communication with the PowerBi API. So you get a like for your answer, but I can not mark it as a solution to my question.

Thanks, @lbendlin. Is there an official microsoft tutorial to this? A document I can read about that topic? Thanks. Best regards!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors