Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically Update Data on Teams without Re-Publish from Desktop

Hello Forum,

This is a great forum I have got so many answers out of it which saved my life! So I just thought I would go ahead and ask something that has been troubling me for about 2 weeks.

My situation, I have an excel spreadsheet in Teams, which I managed to link to a Desktop Power BI report. I have also published this report on service for everyone to see. 

The reason the excel file (dataset) is on Teams is so everyone can update the file and theoritically be able to view the updated dashboard online. Unfortunately whenever an update is made to the excel file, the only way to get the service report to refresh is to :

1. Open the desktop version and refresh

2. Re-publish the report and wait 20-30 minutes.

Is there any way that I can immediately get the results to refresh on service without needing to open the desktop version? As the desktop version is currently on my laptop locally and whenever someone makes a change they need to message me being like "Please refresh and republish the file". Which doesn't seem very efficient. 

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Sujitkr47

This might be different from the actual mentioned problem in above. But i am having difficulties on auto refresh reports which made from a Sharepoint online list,  published on Microsoft teams. What i can see is, the Power BI online application updates the report automatically once the list item updated. But, if i open the report on Power BI desktop application it doesn't reflects the updated list data.

Is there any way out to get the updated reports while sharepoint online list items getting updated without opening the Power BI desktop application and update the reports once again manually and republish it to my teams workspace?

Please help !

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi, have you tried putting your excel on a folder then import it to power bi via folder and not via excel?

folder.png

It worked on my side.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

How did you publish your report? Can you please explain more about these steps?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

In addition. I'd like to suggest you take a look at following link to know more about how to configure scheduled refresh: Configuring scheduled refresh

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Xiaoxin,

Thank you for getting back to me and sharing the links.  

I have followed the following steps:

1. Uploaded the excel spreadsheet on Microsoft Teams

2. Connected to Teams from power BI desktop using "Get Data" following this post

3. Built my dashboard on desktop version

4. Published using the publish button on Power BI Desktop and chose "My Workspace" as the place to publish

Hope this makes sense , I apologise if I am missing a point here. I have also scheduled a refresh using a similar method to the one described on the link you shared, however it still won't update online unless I refresh the desktop version and republish it. 

Thank you again for your reply.

Kind Regards,

Stratoshad

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors