Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pedro-Pereira
Advocate I
Advocate I

Automatic dashboard publish to web when parent report updated

Hi Comunity, 

I need help to understand if this is possible or not.

I have created a report in PBI Desktop and then published it to the PBI service (REP_BASE).
Then I published this repoort to the web (saved the link in the browser LINK_1)

Then in the PBI service I edit the report (REP_BASE), set some filters and save this to a new Report (REP_2).
Then I published this repoort to the web (saved the link in the browser LINK_2)

Again, in the PBI service I edit the report (REP_BASE), set some new  filters and save this to a new Report (REP_3).
Then I published this repoort to the web (saved the link in the browser LINK_3)

I end up with the following reports

REP_BASE ---- LINK_1 (Embeded code / Link 1)

REP_2 --------- LINK_2 (Embeded code / Link 2) ----Derive from REP_BASE with a filter
REP_3 --------- LINK_3 (Embeded code / Link 3)----Derive from REP_BASE with a filter
REP_4----------LINK_4 (Embeded code / Link 4)----Derive from REP_BASE with a filter

All this based on one dataset.

Then using the original .pbix file in the PBI Desktop I made same changes in the report layout and  Published it to the PBI service overwriting the existing file.

I realized that the REP_BASE and the LINK_1 were updated with the changes I made but NOT the other reports (REP_2, REP_3, REP_4) and not the related web links (LINK_2, LINK_3 and LINK_4) 

Is this Normal System Behaviour or am I missing something?

I am aware of more than one way to solve this, but because I have 1000 Reports / links the workarounds  I know are killing in terms of efforts.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Fernando

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pedro-Pereira 

Ok, I understand that the challenge is to filter report when you "publish to web". I don' think there is a way to filter a report shared using "Publish to web" either with bookmarks or through url filters. 

The only alternate I can think of is to use data modelling and dax to come up with a solution. This might be complex but  could avoid you making 100 of changes. 

- Create a table that just has 1 column with the name of your reports. If you need multiple columns, I would you maintain this in excel so that you can easily change them.

- We will be using this field in the slicer. The slicer will be hidden so users can't change them.

- Using relationship or dax, filter the data based on the slicer selection

- Create all of your reports and pre-filter them using the new slicer. This should be a one off exercise. 

- Now everytime you need to change the filters, change the logic of the relationship or dax which should filter each report correctly. You don't have to change the fitlers in multiple report as the data modelling should do that for you. 

Sorry mate, but can't think of an easy way to achieve this. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi Fernando

To understand the behaviour, you need to understand how a pbix file works. When you publish a pbix file, it creates 2 seperate components on the pbi service

1. Dataset
2. Report

Now when you create a new report, you are only using the dataset and not the report.

So now you will have 1 Dataset and 2 reports based on the same dataset

Now when you changes the pbix file locally and publish it again on the service, it will only update the dataset and the default report (the first report). The only changes that will impact report 2 is any change to the dataset. Any change to report 1 (default report) will not reflect in report 2.

Hope this will help you to understand your situation.

Options
1. Use bookmarks to create different version for filters in a single report. This way you don't have to maintain multiple reports
2. Use url filters to filter the report for different filters. You can create a landing tab in your report with links for different filters that use url filter to redirect users to the same report but applies filters as per your need.

Thanks
Nishant

Hi Nishant,

thanks for the reply. It’s clear to me - the notice behavior is normal!

To have the desire one I must implement a different strategy.  

So, I read carefully your 2 options and some comments (see inline)

Options
1. Use bookmarks to create different version for filters in a single report. This way you don't have to maintain multiple reports

(FL) What I need is to send different  links to different users  based on a certain filter in the base report. These users to not access the PBI. They just receive and access a URL view.

I created several bookmarks based on a filter. But how do I distribute the public web view.

I  will end up in the same issue.

2. Use url filters to filter the report for different filters. You can create a landing tab in your report with links for different filters that use url filter to redirect users to the same report but applies filters as per your need.

(FL) I do not understand (or do not know) how to do that. Can you explain a bit more?

What I need:

Base Files (loaded to the PBI service from a .pbix file)

R1 (Can be Filter) ....................... DS1

R1.1 (Filter 1) created from R1

R1.2 (Filter 1) created from R1

R1.3 (Filter 1) created from R1

Then I created 

Embeded Code 1 form R1.1 

Embeded Code 2 form R1.2

Embeded Code 3 form R1.3

And all the embeded Codes (Code1, Code2, Code3) sent to end users (public view) are not updated as I was expected and would like, when the base report changes.

@Pedro-Pereira 

Ok, I understand that the challenge is to filter report when you "publish to web". I don' think there is a way to filter a report shared using "Publish to web" either with bookmarks or through url filters. 

The only alternate I can think of is to use data modelling and dax to come up with a solution. This might be complex but  could avoid you making 100 of changes. 

- Create a table that just has 1 column with the name of your reports. If you need multiple columns, I would you maintain this in excel so that you can easily change them.

- We will be using this field in the slicer. The slicer will be hidden so users can't change them.

- Using relationship or dax, filter the data based on the slicer selection

- Create all of your reports and pre-filter them using the new slicer. This should be a one off exercise. 

- Now everytime you need to change the filters, change the logic of the relationship or dax which should filter each report correctly. You don't have to change the fitlers in multiple report as the data modelling should do that for you. 

Sorry mate, but can't think of an easy way to achieve this. 

Thanks

Hi,

understand.

Thanks for the help and support.

Regards,

Fernando

Hi @Pedro-Pereira ,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered to close this topic?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Pedro-Pereira ,

Based on my research, the Data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. It can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.

You could refer to below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web#updates-to-reports-and-data-refresh

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Daniel,

thaks for the replay.
You are right about the data refresh in the data set. It can take 1h about but it works.

But I am talking about the changes in the report (visual) and  this is not updated! Follow the detail explanation I made. 

Regards,

Fernando 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors