Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MBarbosa
Frequent Visitor

Automatic Refresh not Bringing Up New Columns Added to Sharepoint

Hello,

We have set a Power BI Report that pulls Data from Sharepoint Online and refresh it on a daily basis. New data are being updated correctly and everything is working fine except for new columns added to Sharepoint, which do not show up. The Power BI automatic refresh wont bring new columns, but I find it intriguing that if I download the .pbix file, open it in Power BI Desktop and click on the "Refresh" button, the new columns show up. I tried doing an on demand refresh in Power BI Online but, besides the refresh being successfully completed, the new columns were not retrieved.

Another thing that I noticed is that if I just download the pbix file and open it in Power BI Desktop, the new columns wont appear in the field list (I have made sure that they are no hidden) but, if i click on "edit queries", they are present even on the final step of the query, so I guess the issue could not be related to a step removing columns. At this point, if i click in "Close and Apply", the new columns are still not visible but, as I have said before, they show up if I then click on Refresh or even if I just refresh the specific Sharepoint table which contain the new columns.

It seems like the automatic refresh in Power BI Online is not able to bring new columns from Sharepoint, but the refresh in Power BI Desktop is. Does anyone know if this is the expected behaviour and, if it is, if is there any workaround?

Our source query uses the following syntax:

SharePoint.Tables("OurSharepointSiteLink", [ApiVersion = 15])

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
ABHISHEKSINHA

Did u receive a solution to this. If yes, please share

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

That does appear to be as if it is not working as expected.

What if you had to try the previous API version?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

I tried the API version 14, but Power BI gave me an error along the lines of “The key did not match any line in the table. Details: Key=Record Table=Table” (translated from portuguese). I figured out that we probably cannot use version 14 because our site language is portuguese. It seems like version 16 is not available.

PS: I tried creating a new list, in a different site, but the same behavior was seen. Newly created columns did not appear in the field list after an on demand refresh in Power BI Online, but did after a refresh through Power BI Desktop.

Appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors