Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automate visual refresh after data model update in import mode

Hi,

I have some reports to be displayed on screen in the office, relying on import dataset with hourly update.

Is there a way to automatically update visuals after the dataset has been updated, or on a schedule?

This seems like a common requirement, but I can't find any good solution

-Direct Query or Push datasets are not viable options for this data at the moment

-Browser extensions are forbidden by security policies

-Only option I have is to create a web page to embed the report and js to refresh the full page on defined interval. This does not seem like a very elegant solut

I don't understand why the automated visual refresh is restricted to directquery

2 REPLIES 2
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You could consider using the direct query mode, or to refresh the dataset manually.
The method you chose, while not seemingly elegant, it is indeed a viable workaround.

Import connection is recommended when the data size is less than 1 GB and the data is not continually changing. You can import data with schedule refresh to get the latest data.

Direct Query sends the query to the data source at the time of render, so data is always as current as your data source.

more information about Import vs DQ:

direct query vs. import

DirectQuery, Live Connection or Import Data? Tough Decision!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered using the Power BI app (not Power BI Desktop, but the viewer app)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors