Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automate Refresh for Azure Analytics Service causing issues using PAT (works on PowerBI Desktop)

Good day, 

I have an issue authenticating with a Azure DevOps PAT when connecting to an OData.Feed for our Azure Boards. 
The issue seems to be failing - even though the credentials are working fine (the PAT has been tested). 

When i try this on PowerBI Desktop, it works fine and refreshes the data and I am able to publish the dataset file. 

In a nutshell we have multiple projects so we have to use this URL for the data feed (with some filters)

https://analytics.dev.azure.com/{orgName}/_odata/v3.0-preview/WorkItems

Which we then create a table from and then run our reports from. 

I have tried the Basic (username + PAT) - but I get an unsuccesful loging,  trying an OAuth2 credential also seems to fail. 

Any help would be appreciated? 

Thank You 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be that we need to create an Azure service account - as we have some Conditional Access policies on our Azure side. 

dont think this issue is on PowerBI side. 

you can close this for now

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be that we need to create an Azure service account - as we have some Conditional Access policies on our Azure side. 

dont think this issue is on PowerBI side. 

you can close this for now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Did you find any solution for the conditional access policy ? We too have the same problem and didnt find any solution yet. Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your reply. If you have other question, you can recreate the post and we'll help you in time. ❤️

Now could you accept the answer as solution to close this thread? Thanks again  🙂

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

Anonymous
Not applicable

just to add to this,  i am getting an "invalid credentials" error 
even though those credentials work on the PowerBI desktop file.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your reply, I saw the author has replied to you, does it help?

vxiaotang_0-1634027942726.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-xiaotang 

So the issue is that the OData feed works on the PowerBI desktop
using the feed https://analytics.dev.azure.com/{orgName}/_odata/v3.0-preview/ 

And if i use a Basic authentication value for my username and a PAN token, then it works.  OAuth2 also works on Desktop.
The issue only happens when the pbix is published to PowerBI workspace and we try and validate the credentials there. 
This is so that we can enable the dataset refresh from within PowerBI and not have to do it manually. 

I think the issue is with the connection from PowerBI Workspace to Azure for the analytics part. 
Not sure if someone has this working, or if I have configured this incorrectly. 

I pretty much followed the instructions from

https://sqlitybi.com/connecting-power-bi-to-azure-devops-using-odata-feed/?doing_wp_cron=1592467600....

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

not sure how to reproduce this problem, could you share the screenshot without sensitive information?

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors