Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automate Dataset refresh in power BI service

I am new to power BI and my problem is very specific, so wanted to see if anyone has any ideas regarding my issue.

I am using power BI desktop to connect to my source data, which are in my company sharepoint and are csv/xlxs files. There is a separate process to update these files with new files in the sharepoint outside of Power BI. Anytime data changes, i can successfully refresh my data in Power BI desktop to reflect changes and publish the same to the Power BI service. 

My question is, is there a way to keep the power BI service reports in sync with the changing dataset in sharepoint without having to publish the pbix everyday manually? My manager has only access to the Power BI service portal, and looks at report there. 

I have tried creating a gateway in the Power BI service, where i provided my credentials for all the files and was able to refresh the dataset, but its a personal gateway running on my machine. If for some reason my system is not running(because I am out sick etc.) refresh fails. Is the other option for my manager to build her own gateway? 

Thanks for reading through this and I appreciate any input on the same. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Well, that is not how you refresh the dataset. That is just for refreshing the visuals on the page. You refresh the dataset by going to the workspace and clicking the refresh icon for the dataset or you use the ellipses on the dataset (vertical) and choose Refresh. SharePoint Online should not require a data gateway, although I could be incorrect on that. Did you use the SharePoint Folder connector? It's hard to keep track because I feel like it has gone back and forth with the SharePoint Online stuff and depends on which connector you use, SharePoint Online, SharePoint List, etc. If you used a File connector like Text/CSV then probably would want a gateway. In any case, when you install the gateway. In any case, if you require a gateway, make sure that you are using the "standard" gateway version, not the "personal" gateway version, see this doc:

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Yes, your manager can install their own gateway. However, what you really want to do is to install the gateway in Enterprise mode (not personal mode) on a server and then refresh will occur as long as that server is running and anyone that you authorize can use the gateway for their reports. Is your SharePoint on-premises? If it was in O365 then you wouldn't need a gateway.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Greg_Deckler thanks for your response!

The sharepoint is in Office 365. I tried the below test to see if changes are getting reflected without manual intervention:

1. Go into sharepoint and change one of the csv file data to something different and save the file.

2. Wait for 5 mins or so. Hit the refresh on the power BI service and see if it reflects in the rerports.

beras_0-1627575865171.png

What I have seen is the Power BI service dataset never gets refreshed and nor does the service reports. Am I doing something incorrecty here? Also, the scheduled refresh in Power Bi service is disabled unless i create a gateway. And on top of that, when i click on the gateway, from Power BI service from my machine it only creates the local gateway. How do you install it in enterprise mode?

Thank you again in advance for your time.

@Anonymous Well, that is not how you refresh the dataset. That is just for refreshing the visuals on the page. You refresh the dataset by going to the workspace and clicking the refresh icon for the dataset or you use the ellipses on the dataset (vertical) and choose Refresh. SharePoint Online should not require a data gateway, although I could be incorrect on that. Did you use the SharePoint Folder connector? It's hard to keep track because I feel like it has gone back and forth with the SharePoint Online stuff and depends on which connector you use, SharePoint Online, SharePoint List, etc. If you used a File connector like Text/CSV then probably would want a gateway. In any case, when you install the gateway. In any case, if you require a gateway, make sure that you are using the "standard" gateway version, not the "personal" gateway version, see this doc:

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for the article link! Yes, I used the File connector like Text/CSV. I will use the standard gateway version as you suggested.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors