Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zacevatt
Frequent Visitor

Auto update of dashboards

I've read a lot of similar posts but nothing seems to give a specific answer. I have a dashboard created from a report, i've pinned the full report to create the dashboard and using SQL Server and enterprise gateway. I've tested with Direct Query and currently have it set up with it importing data on the hour (for the maximum of 8). I want to show the dashboard on TV screens to promote visiual management and need the dashboard to auto refresh itself.

The only way i have been able to acheive this is to use ?chromeless=1 F11 and use a Chrome Extension to auto refresh. It works but not as slick as i would like as you can clearly see the whole screen refresh.

Does anyone have a better solution? From what I have read some say it should auto refresh by itself and some say it is not designed to refresh at all??

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@zacevatt wrote:

If I pin individual tiles they seem to refresh automatically. It's just limited in design and layout by pinning individual tiles but it does update.

so by pinning the entire report I'm guessing this will never update unless I run a refresh either manually or using a chrome extension for example?

Hi @zacevatt,

Yes. Refreshing live page tiles is currently not supported by Power BI. You need to pin individual tiles to dashboard, instead of pinning whole report. For more details, please review this similar thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
gauravbi
Regular Visitor

This chrome extension did trick for us.

https://spgaurav.blogspot.com/2019/04/chrome-plugin-to-auto-refresh-power-bi.html

Note : This wont work with full sceen

TheMajesticKing
Helper II
Helper II

Any update on this?

MrCoyado
Frequent Visitor

Hi @zacevatt!

I've been through this as well and the solution I applied was to use the page report (instead of the live pinned dashboard, because the dashboard and its page report will look the same) with the URL parameter ?chromeless=true plus F11 and it worked.

Not the ideal solution, but it got my issue solved for awhile.

Regards

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @zacevatt,

Dashboard tiles that are based on direct query should be refreshed automatically every 15 minutes.

In your scenario, when connecting to SQL Server via DirectQuery mode, do the dashboards refresh in Chrome after waiting for 15 minutes? And how about forcing a tile refresh by selecting the ellipse (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles?

Besides,  in addition to using Chrome Extension to automatically refresh dashboard, you can also create real-time dashboard tiles following the instructions in this blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've just tested using DQ anchrome and it doesn't refresh automatically and also doesn;t refresh by selecting the ellipse (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles. If i select another report and come back it to its updated??

I've created the dashboard by pinning the whole report and not individual tiles.

Thanks again

Hi @zacevatt,

How do  you make changes to your source, have you changed the type of your visual in report?

In addition, when you pin individual visual to dashboard, does the tile refresh after waiting for 15 minutes or more after you make changes to underlying data of the visual in SQL Server data source? How about selecting Refresh dashboard tiles in this case?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If I pin individual tiles they seem to refresh automatically. It's just limited in design and layout by pinning individual tiles but it does update.

so by pinning the entire report I'm guessing this will never update unless I run a refresh either manually or using a chrome extension for example?

@zacevatt wrote:

Hi @zacevatt,

Yes. Refreshing live page tiles is currently not supported by Power BI. You need to pin individual tiles to dashboard, instead of pinning whole report. For more details, please review this similar thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

any update?

Any idea when this will be possible>

I have a TV where I have power BI report at my office in full screen. I want the report to be refreshed whenver the source data is update

Will it be supported? Do you know if its part of the development plan?

Hi @zacevatt,

I am not aware that if it is a part of development plan. I would recommend  you submit an idea about it in the following link.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to test it again using Direct Query and see what happens. Will let you know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors