Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

peterscully
Frequent Visitor

Auto refresh with Excel workbook on OneDrive

Hi there.

To my knowledge when you connect the Power BI Service to a workbook stored on OneDrive, the service should refresh the data from the workbook every hour or so.  I have done this but when I update the information in the workbook and then click on Update Now for my dataset in Power BI, the data doesn't change.

When I first connect to the workbook and create the dataset I can go through to settings and see the autorefresh option under OneDrive under datasets is turned on.  

Then after my workbook in OneDrive has been updated, whether I just leave Power BI to refresh on its own or click on Refresh Now, the data doesn't update.  I also get an email saying "OneDrive refresh for testx.xlsx has been disabled. You can learn about common reasons refresh fails in our help topics or reach out to our Community for help. As always, you can also contact support."

If I then go look at the sync option under settings again it is then switched off.  Why is this?

I have managed to get this working in the past but currently am not having any joy.

Any ideas...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Yuliana.

Thanks for the reply.  I actually think the problem has to do with my environment.  There seems to be a conflict in the way I'm saving my files to OneDrive which is preventing the syncing.  It might have to do with my OneDrive confirguration which I'm busy looking in to.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @peterscully,

In my test, I could not reproduce your issue. The error prompts because the OneDrive refresh option is in Off status. 

This is very odd that the OneDrive refresh is switched to off if there is no one turn if off manually. So, in your scenario, please check whether someone else turned it off. And check whether this issue persists after you turn on the auto-refresh again.

By the way, there existing some delay to update the PowerBI dataset after updating the data stored in OneDrive.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana.

Thanks for the reply.  I actually think the problem has to do with my environment.  There seems to be a conflict in the way I'm saving my files to OneDrive which is preventing the syncing.  It might have to do with my OneDrive confirguration which I'm busy looking in to.

Hi @peterscully,

Glad to hear that you have found the cause to this problem. Now have you ever resolved your issue via checking the OneDrive configuration? If yes, would you please share your solution so that more people having similar problem can benefit from it.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors