Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gav12345
Frequent Visitor

Auto refresh for multiple data sources

Hi,

I have a report that connects to multiple URLs (an API for one of our systems) to bring in various datasets, which I then transform in Power BI. The report works perfectly in desktop, but I'm not sure how to set up a scheduled refresh for all of the URLs in the service.

Specifically, when I go to the 'Datasets' tab and click on my report and then click on 'Gateway Connection', I see an endless 'working' icon (i.e. a series of dots going round and round in a circle). Essentially I don't seem to be able to set up any connections, let alone the multiple connections that I need.

Can anyone tell me what might be happening here / how I can set up multiple connections to different URLs for a report in the Power BI service?

Thanks, Gavin

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI Gavin,

If you are using the "Get Data from web" connector to load data from URL's you'll need a Gateway setup to auto-refresh in the service. If you already have a Gateway you'll need to add the URL's to it, one for each data source. It looks like you don't have a Gatway setup and Power BI is hunting for one, which is why you get the endless 'working' icon. You'll need to set up an appropriate Gateway to solve the problem.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Burningsuit,

Thanks for your response and very sorry for the late reply...some time out of the office.

I actually do have a gateway set up (with just a single URL for testing), which is connecting successfully. The problem is that I can't even seem to get as far as trying to select a gateway for the dataset...as soon as I expand the Gateway Connection option, I'm into the 'working' icon, followed by 'Something went wrong' message. Pls see screenshots.

I'm not seeing this issue for other datasets / gateways. Any ideas?

Many thanks.Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Many thanks, Gavin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors