Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bramz
Regular Visitor

Auto refresh for dashboard and report

Hi,

After i refresh dataset or using refresh scheduler, can we set reports and dashboard auto refreshed too?

usually i need to manually refresh on the report. Even dashboard not updated when report is updated, need take some times until dashboard refreshed too.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bramz 

If the storage mode is import, there is no automatic page refresh option for reports. You have to click on the refresh button or reload the tab.

FYI - If the storage mode is DirectQuery and if you have dedicated capacity, then you could enable automatic page refresh. 

Refer to this link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jmontlouis001

So given your answer nandukrishnavs is there a way for a dashboard to get updated without someone actually refreshing the data? What I mean is I recall that with sheets and tableau you don't have to refresh the data on tableau. If someone changes a data point in the underlying data sheet you are connected to (gsheets) that it will be auto reflected in the dashboard without the need for someone to refresh anything. I am curious if ms365 hosted on sharepoint and connecting powerbi to that sharepoint link makes it like tableau…I am not sure if its possible but I was going to research that also

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create in a flow in Power Automate to automatically update the data. You can then download a Google Chrome extension like Auto-Refresh, and have the Power BI Refreshed around the same time as when you schedule the Power Automate.

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Bramz 

If you open the reports or dashboard and updated the datasets(scheduled refresh or manual refresh),

• You will not see the changes in the report. You have to click refresh now button or reload the tab to view the latest data.
  • You will see the changes immediately in the dashboard tiles. (You don't need to refresh the browser).
    • These datasets don't require a separate tile refresh because Power BI refreshes the tiles automatically during each scheduled or on-demand data refresh.

nandukrishnavs_0-1599023385941.png

reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#power-bi-refresh-types

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Hi.

So pinning whole report page as "tile" (not report individual graphics, but whole page) to dashboard does not provide automatic refresh capabilitys? When i pin individual graphics from page then automatic refresh is working when dataset is updatated.

I am using dataset "push" method and would like to desing my "tile" as a group of graphics and shapes.

Thanks!

@rivo201 

If you pin the live page as tile, it will not refresh the data automatically. That means you will not see the data changes in the report page tile in real-time.

To view the changes immediately without refreshing the browser, You have to pin the visual one by one or you can explore the feasibility of automatic page refresh in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Hi @nandukrishnavs 

Thanks for the answer.

So , there is no auto refresh option for reports? we still need press refresh now button or reload tab? 

thanks

Regards

@Bramz 

If the storage mode is import, there is no automatic page refresh option for reports. You have to click on the refresh button or reload the tab.

FYI - If the storage mode is DirectQuery and if you have dedicated capacity, then you could enable automatic page refresh. 

Refer to this link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors