Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vicente-iii
Helper I
Helper I

Auto Sign In to Embedded Link to Power BI Report

Hi,

I am trying to create a secure embedded link for my Power BI Reports to send to my customers. (See Fig 1)

Fig 1: Embedded link to ReportFig 1: Embedded link to Report

However, it requires my customers to sign-in (See Fig 2).

Fig 2: Sign-in required to access reportFig 2: Sign-in required to access report

My customers want to view the report immediately without having to sign in. However, we want it to remain secure so we do not want to merely publish it to web. Does anyone know a method for our customers to bypass the sign-in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vicente-iii ,

Based on this document:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-secure

The user needs to sign in to view the report if a user has not signed-in to Power BI in their browser session, After the user has signed in, the report opens, only users who have view permission can see the report in Power BI. Lastly, the user needs to be correctly licensed – either they need a Power BI Pro license, or the report must be in a workspace that is in a Power BI Premium capacity. So the login is used for varify the premission and the license.

To achieve a single sign-on experience, use the Embed in SharePoint Online option, or build a custom integration using the user owns data  embedding method.

Or We can increase the lifetime of authentication token. The authentication token lifetime is controlled based on your AAD settings. When the authentication token expires, the user will need to refresh their browser to get an updated authentication token. The default lifetime is one hour, but it could be shorter or longer in your organization.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vicente-iii ,

Based on this document:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-secure

The user needs to sign in to view the report if a user has not signed-in to Power BI in their browser session, After the user has signed in, the report opens, only users who have view permission can see the report in Power BI. Lastly, the user needs to be correctly licensed – either they need a Power BI Pro license, or the report must be in a workspace that is in a Power BI Premium capacity. So the login is used for varify the premission and the license.

To achieve a single sign-on experience, use the Embed in SharePoint Online option, or build a custom integration using the user owns data  embedding method.

Or We can increase the lifetime of authentication token. The authentication token lifetime is controlled based on your AAD settings. When the authentication token expires, the user will need to refresh their browser to get an updated authentication token. The default lifetime is one hour, but it could be shorter or longer in your organization.

Best regards,

Hi Team,

I came across the same issue and found your solution, but i still have a query and yet my requirement hasn't matched.

As we're embedding to the same website, so while logging in the person has to sign in intially then why again he needs to sign in specifically while vewing power bi reports. Then that would be a multi sign on session right. Can you guide me on this where is there any way that the initial login to the website itself to be considered  and shouldn't be asked again while viewing Power bi reports.

Regards,

Haveesh

Thanks for the answer.

Can you provide some link/resource to build a custom integration using the user own model?

I am not sure where to start.

Hi @Kolumam ,

Here are the links in the official document:

• To achieve a single sign-on experience, use the Embed in SharePoint Online option, or build a custom integration using the user owns data embedding method.

• The automatic authentication capability provided with the Embed option doesn't work with the Power BI JavaScript API. For the Power BI JavaScript API, use the user owns data embedding method.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors