Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlito
Frequent Visitor

Auto Refresh not working on web app

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing some issues setting up auto-refresh (actually, refreshing in general) using the web app. I've created a .pbix file on my desktop version which accesses Google Analytics, Google Sheets (via the web connector) and Facebook, and can refresh data manually just fine on desktop. However, when I upload the .pbix file to the web app and try to set up auto refresh, I get the error message "You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because one or more sources currently don't support refresh". I find this strange as I haven't experienced any problems refreshing until uploading to the web app.

When I try to refresh manually, I get a different error message: "Unable to refresh the model (id=3808827) because it references an unsupported data source". other error details include: 
Cluster URI:
Activity ID:
b9d1e866-a212-39b1-7ac1-186274a4e8e1
Request ID:
972445c7-a561-8262-ef0d-e04843dfa05e

I've read through all the documentation around auto refresh, but there doesn't seem to be a clear explanation as to which of my data sources is causing this problem, or if there are anyways to work around this. 

Another piece of information that may be relevant is that when I upload the .pbix file (either via the "publish to web" function in the desktop app, or via file upload in the web app), it appears under the "dashboards", "reports" and "datasets" section. Under "dashboards" and "reports", everything seems to load fine and all the pages of my report are present, but under "datasets", I can just see a blank canvas. Not sure if that's part of the issue, but it seems that every possible solution I've seen to this refresh issue shows more than just a .pbix file under the "datasets" column. Could this have anything to do with the problems I'm facing?

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue, or if there are any workarounds? 

Thanks in advance,
- C
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @carlito

I would think that it could possibly be that currently even though you are connecting to Google Sheets, it could be the cause of the auto refresh not working.

Also I do know that in order to refresh the data if you are using it via a Web Connector that it would require a Gateway to be installed (As far as I am aware).

As well as currently if you are using the On-Premise Data Gateway, whilst you can have different sources from on-premise and cloud, if there are any applied steps in your Query Editor then the On-Premise Data Gateway will not be able to refresh the data. This is being worked on as far as I know, but has not been released yet.

In order to troubleshoot, I would suggest first creating the report with just the Google Analytics, upload and see if that will refresh. Next try the Google Sheets, and test. And then finally the Facebook Web Connector. If it fails after an upload then remove the one you just added to see which one is causing it to fail.

With regards to your dataset question, when you upload a PBIX file, there are 2 components on upload. One is the underlying dataset which stores all your information (if you used the Import Mode). As well as your reports you created in Power BI Desktop. 

Now when you are in the Power BI Service and you click on the Dataset, by default it will open a blank report canvas. Which will then allow you to create reports in the Power BI Web Service. And that is why it always appears to be blank. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @carlito,

I tested it successfully with the data sources you mentioned. You need a Data Gateway in your scenario. Please upgrade the Gateway to the latest version and set it properly. If you still have issues, please provide:

1. The snapshots of the settings.

2. How you connect to Google Sheets.

IMPORTANT: mask the confidential info first.Auto Refresh not working on web app.png

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot over the weekend and will let you know if it works

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @carlito

I would think that it could possibly be that currently even though you are connecting to Google Sheets, it could be the cause of the auto refresh not working.

Also I do know that in order to refresh the data if you are using it via a Web Connector that it would require a Gateway to be installed (As far as I am aware).

As well as currently if you are using the On-Premise Data Gateway, whilst you can have different sources from on-premise and cloud, if there are any applied steps in your Query Editor then the On-Premise Data Gateway will not be able to refresh the data. This is being worked on as far as I know, but has not been released yet.

In order to troubleshoot, I would suggest first creating the report with just the Google Analytics, upload and see if that will refresh. Next try the Google Sheets, and test. And then finally the Facebook Web Connector. If it fails after an upload then remove the one you just added to see which one is causing it to fail.

With regards to your dataset question, when you upload a PBIX file, there are 2 components on upload. One is the underlying dataset which stores all your information (if you used the Import Mode). As well as your reports you created in Power BI Desktop. 

Now when you are in the Power BI Service and you click on the Dataset, by default it will open a blank report canvas. Which will then allow you to create reports in the Power BI Web Service. And that is why it always appears to be blank. 

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ took a look into it—seems like you nailed it spot on!

After setting up the on-premise gateway and removing my web connection that had a bunch of applied steps in the Query Editor, I've had no problems refreshing.

Looks like I'll need to find another way to work around the applied steps issue for now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Happy to assist

Power BI Blog

Gotcha, sounds like the common theme here could be the gateway. Will try the steps you outlined and let you know how it goes. Thanks in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors