Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Audit Logs

I’ve already had a few unanswered questions about Power BI Audit Logs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing)

and looking for someone who may shed some light on it.

1. Does in Audit Logs only Pro users’ activities are available? In case I have a Premium, do I see activities for both Pro and Free users?

2. I couldn’t find “View App” activity. Does it mean I won’t be able to track who viewed my app?

3. I need to track who adds permissions to datasets and workspaces. For instance, User1 gave admin permission to User2 then User2 gave contributor permission to security group X. Where to look for this kind of data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

My understanding is that because they are still viewing the report, it would be seen even though it was consumed via the App.

Yeah as far as I know, there is no way of knowing who modified what as far as I am aware.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

1. The Audit logs will log all users who access Power BI.

2. As far as I can see there currently is no event to View an App

3. Currently there is nothing in the Audit log to see data relating to permissions. You would need to use the Power BI Rest API in order to see who has got access to what and derive it from there.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ 

Really appreciate your feedback

In reference:

2. I am worried about the logs will not show a real traffic, while the app is a preferred way of sharing. Does the report in app really differ from the report in a workspace? I mean, if someone view the app, doesn’t he really makes a footprint in logs “View Report” action?

3. Good to know that. I am afraid Power BI Rest APIs

(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/

allow to capture the current status of the permission but says nothing about who had modified it.

Do you know it is currently possible to get such data?

Hi there

My understanding is that because they are still viewing the report, it would be seen even though it was consumed via the App.

Yeah as far as I know, there is no way of knowing who modified what as far as I am aware.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors