Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bergen288
Helper III
Helper III

Audience don't have permission to view report in my Power BI app

I created a Power BI app and granted access to a user who is NOT the member of target workspace.  The app is installed and available in her "Apps" icon.  But she has permission error when trying to view the report.  What do I miss?

Thanks.

bergen288_0-1666970642353.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bergen288,
This usually happens if the report in the app is using a shared dataset from another workspace. You would need to add her into the permission list of that dataset. 

You can trace the location of the dataset in the current workspace using lineage view.

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1666973979147.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bergen288
Helper III
Helper III

By the way, her permission error is no permission to access the source dataset in the report.

Hi bergen288,
This usually happens if the report in the app is using a shared dataset from another workspace. You would need to add her into the permission list of that dataset. 

You can trace the location of the dataset in the current workspace using lineage view.

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1666973979147.png

Thanks for the hint.  I added her into the workspace as the Viewer, but I also granted her access to dataset so she is one of the dataset owner.  Now she is able to view the report in my app.  I wonder which action is the real one to resolve the permission issue?  Also, it looks like I can't remove her Viewer membership or take away her dataset ownership.  Is there a way to remove her membership in workspace or take away her dataset ownership?

Thanks.

bergen288_0-1666983540409.png

bergen288_1-1666983791005.png

The best option is to give her read access to the dataset only. Dataset owner has the ability to edit the dataset and Viewer in a workspace can see all the reports in the workspace ( which you may not want)

If you were able to add her into the workspace, it means that you have Admin role assign to you, that should also allow you to remove here from the workspace. Check if your Admin role in the workspace access list has been removed.

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1667227588592.png

Looks like I am not the admin of this workspace.  In the "Member" dropdown menu, there is no Admin option.  According to Workspace rule, member can add "Add members or others with lower permissions".  

bergen288_0-1667229944211.png

bergen288_1-1667230059906.png

Thats it! You may need to contact the Admin to remove any members.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors