Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JB81
Helper I
Helper I

Assume that the Format String Expression property of a Calculation Item from a Calculation Group

Hi

Is there anyway to find out if a Analysis Service Patch has been applied to the Power BI service?

We seem to have the same/similar issue with Calculation Groups and FORMAT_STRING breaking MDX queries issued against Power BI.  The queries are very slow and then error (question asked here without sucessful resolution Re: Problem when using MDX to query Power BI Datas... - Microsoft Power BI Community).

This entry is from SQL Server 2019 CU 4 KB4548597 - Cumulative Update 4 for SQL Server 2019 (microsoft.com)

JB81_0-1666108838909.png

I was hoping that I could get some help from the Power BI forum, but perhaps not many people are using MDX against Tabular Models.  Our use-case is that the MDX is generated by a third-party tool that allows our reporting format and creation process to remain very similar to our OLAP reporting.

If I can't get extra info here I'll log a call at Microsoft and update this message with any news.

Regards

JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

Update from the Microsoft Support partner.

• Not going to be fixed in Power BI.

Why has this taken 3 months to elicit from Microsoft Support?

I am astounded by the speed of progress on this support ticket.

If only there was a team responsible for Power BI that I could reach out to find if this issue was on their radar and if a fix was in the plan, if only.

Instead we are stuck dealing with 3rd rate support and I still don't know if they have actually ASKED the Power BI product group the question or if they are just fobbing me off.

Says it all really.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JB81
Helper I
Helper I

Update: 5/Jan/2023

Microsoft say to remove the formatting element to make it work (either in calculation group or using other methods).

So unless this changes Calculation groups to achive currency formatting is terminally broken.

/

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JB81 ,

You may consider to raise a support ticket here.

Support | Microsoft Power BI.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi

Thanks for your help.

Where on the page does it say "raise a support issue" and not come back to this forum.

ps. I tried to raise through Visual Studio Subscriptions but Power BI is not listed as an Azure service (go figure).

Thanks

JB

Hi Raised a call will update with outcome...

Very slow progress, root analysis is slow...support going round the houses rather than asking Power BI Product Group/Team if this should be an issue when issuing the two MDX statements at Power BI Service.

I don't know how a network can have any deterimental effect on the queries as SQL Profiler tells us what the MDX styntax is when it's executed by Power BI.  Unfortunately I cannot port the Power BI Model to SSAS Tabular, otherwise I would and show that there isn't an issue with the on premise client and that it's Power BI that isn't working.

Very poor support.  Unfortunately, this is starting to become common for MS Support...the Product Groups/Teams might know what they're doing but you just cannot get hold of them and MS Support block any sense turn after turn - why will they not ask the Product Group/Team why this doesn't work?

Update: 21/12/2022

After escalating within Microsoft it now appears that the AAS team say it's nothing to do with them because, well, it's not Analysis Services.  And fair play to them for that because I've been asking for contact with the Power BI team since week 1 back in October.

So now we wait to here what the PBI team have to say.

There must be easier ways to manage support than this, it is just painful and too slow.

Hi

Update from the Microsoft Support partner.

• Not going to be fixed in Power BI.

Why has this taken 3 months to elicit from Microsoft Support?

I am astounded by the speed of progress on this support ticket.

If only there was a team responsible for Power BI that I could reach out to find if this issue was on their radar and if a fix was in the plan, if only.

Instead we are stuck dealing with 3rd rate support and I still don't know if they have actually ASKED the Power BI product group the question or if they are just fobbing me off.

Says it all really.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors