Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

oappdev
Helper I
Helper I

Assign V-CORES to Workspace

My apologies, my company just purchase Power BI Premium P1 V-Cores 8, Is it possible to assign Cores to each workspace?

We have the following workspace. 

• PRD Workspace   Assign V-Cores(4)
  • TEST Workspace  Assign V-Cores(2)
  • DEV Workspace  Assign V-Cores(2)
  • QA Workspace   Assign V-Cores(2)

Is that possible?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@oappdev 

Sorta - but you may not be able to split out the V-cores as you have described.

First you'll go to the Power BI Admin menu and setup your Premium Capacity.  You add the V-cores to each capacity. 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-manage
From my experience - you can typically only select 8 v-cores as your minimum - based on the selections in the capacity size drop down menu.  I'm not sure if you go fewer than 8 for the P SKUs.  

Once your capacity is setup - then you add your workspaces to that capacity.  So you would be able to add all 4 workspaces to the same capacity.  

If after monitoring the capacity usage - you find that having all 4 workspaces in the same capacity is consuming too much available memory - you'll have to consider splitting them out or upgrading your SKU in order to add more V-cores. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@oappdev 

Sorta - but you may not be able to split out the V-cores as you have described.

First you'll go to the Power BI Admin menu and setup your Premium Capacity.  You add the V-cores to each capacity. 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-manage
From my experience - you can typically only select 8 v-cores as your minimum - based on the selections in the capacity size drop down menu.  I'm not sure if you go fewer than 8 for the P SKUs.  

Once your capacity is setup - then you add your workspaces to that capacity.  So you would be able to add all 4 workspaces to the same capacity.  

If after monitoring the capacity usage - you find that having all 4 workspaces in the same capacity is consuming too much available memory - you'll have to consider splitting them out or upgrading your SKU in order to add more V-cores. 

Thank you @swise001 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors