Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Beckham
Advocate II
Advocate II

'Ask your data a question' is broken?

Is anyone else having issues with the 'Ask your data a question' box appearing after the feature has been turned off? This is essentially giving access to all the underlying data to people in our org who should only be able to see the graph/chart. 

Step #1: Page loaded normally with the feature turned off. 

1.PNG

Step 2: Click on another shared dashboard:

2.PNG

Step 3: Click back on the original dashboard and now users can search by whatever, giving them full access to the underlying dataset?

3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The Devs were not able to repro the issue...does anybody have a better set of directions/steps?

Chuck Sterling

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Beckham I am unable to reproduce your issue. I followed same steps and shared it with a user and checked on his account. Are you sure you have unchecked Q&A option in dashboards settings and clicked Apply ?

I am able to reproduce the error. I followed the same steps after ensuring that the 'Show the Q&A search box on this dashboard' was unchecked.

Capture0.PNGCapture.PNGCapture1.PNG

@JRC@Beckham I'm assuming that along with it showing you tested to ensure that you could access information that otherwise would be un-available? Be sure to add this to the Issues UV section.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Great question. Yes, I did test to see if users could access data that is not on the dashboard. Users are able to access the full underlying data model by launching ask a question.

@JRC Yeah, not cool. I'll throw some votes on that issue if you or @Beckham creates it. Either way, be sure to post back here with a link.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yeah, it is a very unfortunate glitch. I'll create a post in the issue section referenced and post a link back on this thread tomorrow morning. I have also opened a service request with Microsoft, so I will post back here if I receive a response. Thanks!
JRC
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the post back. Voted.

chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The Devs were not able to repro the issue...does anybody have a better set of directions/steps?

Chuck Sterling

It's reproducing for everyone in our organization. Can I email you and show you exactly what is happening? 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Beckham, do you still have this issue? I can't reproduce it, it will be helpful if you can share me the details via email (visong at microsoft dot com).

It's reproducing for everyone in our organization. Can I email you and show you exactly what is happening? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors