Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rbhatup

As SSDT user, where do I begin with Power BI?

I have decent experience with SQL Server Data Tools: I've created several SSIS projects for importing and preparing data. I've created and deployed (to ReportServer) many SSRS reports with the aforementioned data, and now I'm creating a DW & cube with SSAS.

As a user with this experience in SSDT, how can I begin using Power BI? I've searched for information on this new technology, but I'm not sure how Power BI will help me with what I already have.

Does Power BI replace or complement SSDT in the sense that I can install Microsoft Power BI Report Server and deploy reports there? I've tried searching for something that will guide me in the right direction, but have not found anything.

I did download Power BI Desktop but it seems that this tool is used as part of a bigger enterprise suite.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
rbhatup

I have decent experience with SQL Server Data Tools: I've created several SSIS projects for importing and preparing data. I've created (and deployed to ReportServer) many SSRS reports with the aforementioned data, and now I'm creating an DW & cube with SSAS.

As a user with this experience in SSDT, how can I begin using Power BI? I've searched for information on this new technology, but I'm not sure how Power BI will help me with what I already have. I cannot upload anything to a cloud.

Does Power BI replace or complement SSDT in the sense that I can install Microsoft Power BI Report Server and deploy reports there? I've tried searching for something that will guide me in the right direction, but have not found anything.

I did download Power BI Desktop but it seems that this tool is used as part of a bigger enterprise suite.

Thanks.

@rbhatup Power BI is seperate from SSDT/Visual Studio

If you have the Power BI Report server, you would connect the Power BI Desktop to your SSAS instance in Live Connection mode, and Power BI just become the front end visualization tool. You can then publish your PBI Desktop reports to the PBI Report Server (Which requires either a Premium license or SQL EE +SA)

The only touchpoint for development is if you wanted to store your PBI Desktop files (PBIX) in TFS for the check in/ check out. Otherwise there is no project / deployment or integration in SSDT / Visual Studio at all.

The Power BI Service is the other main part, but un-related to your question, where sharing Power BI reports via dashboards or apps occurs.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors