Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are calculated columns supported by Push datasets?

Hi All,

I am experimenting with Push datasets to understand the limitations before I can make a proposal to my customer.

When I see the definition of a Column object in Microsoft's site., I do not see a support for calculated columns.

sau001_0-1641423202600.png

Models produced by SSDT have calculated columns as follows:

{
            "type": "calculated",
            "name": "ParticipantId",
            "dataType": "string",
            "isDataTypeInferred": true,
            "expression": "LOOKUPVALUE(vwParticipants[Id], vwParticipants[AccessToken], vwBodyCompositionSummary[UserDeviceAccessToken])"
          }

Does that mean push datasets do not support calculated columns?

Thanks,

Sau

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi Sau, 

In the strictest sense no a push dataset doesn't support a calculated column.

However you populate data into it using the REST API's Add Row end point. You can therefore just use a "normal" column, calcualte the values for it in your system and push values as part of the row to the model.

SQLBI have some useful stuff, try this as  a starting point:
Creating real-time dashboards in Power BI with push datasets - SQLBI

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does the replies above solve your problem? If it has been solved, please mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly.Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation!

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi Sau, 

In the strictest sense no a push dataset doesn't support a calculated column.

However you populate data into it using the REST API's Add Row end point. You can therefore just use a "normal" column, calcualte the values for it in your system and push values as part of the row to the model.

SQLBI have some useful stuff, try this as  a starting point:
Creating real-time dashboards in Power BI with push datasets - SQLBI

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bcdobbs ,

I am looking at the section "Populating a push dataset" in the article from SQLBI.

If I understand correctly, they appear to be running a DAX query to create the data which is then fed via PUSH rest api.

Will this work on Professional license?

Thanks,

Sau

Yes they are simulating pushing data from a query but I think you can "push" any data you want at the REST API.

My understanding is the Rest API is available to pro licences (Rest API Cost? - Microsoft Power BI Community).

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors