cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arock-well
Frequent Visitor

Are Workspace permissions overridden with Shared report link?

I have employee with no rights to a Workspace. If they try to access the Workspace it denies them access, as expected.

However, it appears if I or someone shares a link to a report in that same restricted Workspace that same employee can go view the report. This was not expected as I thought they'd get a similar access denied message.

Why is this happening and how can I stop this behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@arock-well That is the intended behavior. How else would you be able to share a report without giving access to the entire workspace? You would need to go in and remove the link that was sent to the user.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Check out my External Tool for Power BI Desktop! Microsoft Hates Greg's Quick Measures
YouTube Channel! Microsoft Hates Greg
Check out my latest book!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@arock-well That is the intended behavior. How else would you be able to share a report without giving access to the entire workspace? You would need to go in and remove the link that was sent to the user.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Check out my External Tool for Power BI Desktop! Microsoft Hates Greg's Quick Measures
YouTube Channel! Microsoft Hates Greg
Check out my latest book!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors