Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Architecture for multiple sources being shared publicly and internally

Situation: 

• 3 data sources (A, B, C)
  • Based on specific data from A,B,C, a single report ("PublicReport") needs to be shared publicly on a website. 
  • Based on (other) specific data from A,B,C, a second report  ("OrganizationalReport") needs to be shared with three internal teams (Team1, Team2, Team3). Ideally, each team would have a seperate RLS view of this report. 
  • Premium is NOT an option. Internal users have Pro licenses.  There is the possibility of upgrading some users to PPU, if needed. 

Problem: I'm struggling with how to set up the architecture, permissions, and user licenses for this. 

Setup so far: 

• Each of the data sources are being pulled into three seperate datasets (DatasetA, DatasetB, DatasetC). Lots of cleanup happens in each of these datasets. 
  • I've also created an additional "MasterDataSet" that combines DataSetA, DataSetB, and DataSetC and does lots of additional cleaning and staging. It is now easy to generate the needed visuals from the MasterDataSet. (Much of this cleaning/staging could potentially be done--if needed--in DataSetA,DataSetB,DataSetC....but it is prefered to do in a single place for continuity purposes). 
  • PublicReport and OrganizationalReport can both essentially be filtered versions of MasterDataSet (with different filters). 

How do I properly set up permissions/sharing/etc. for the DataSetA,DataSetB,DataSetC in order to enable the right data to flow to PublicReport and OrganizationalReport? 

Viewers of the PublicReport should NOT have access to all of the underlying data in DataSetA, DataSetB, DataSetC, and MasterDataSet. 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @zacksg1 

There are a lot of questions and things that you are looking for here.

I would suggest that you engage with a Power BI Consultant. Whilst the forum is here to assist with questions this I feel is more around consulting requirements and assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors