Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apps - What's the Purpose?

Hello,

My organisation is new to Power BI. We've developed four thematic apps e.g. Benchmarking, Performance, Demand, Audit. 

In addition to this, to help users find the report they're looking for, I've created a 5th app with an Index report, which basically provides users with a way to filter and look for a report (which could be in any one app) and then click on a link to open it (with all reports residing in one of the above apps).

Is there any reason I should get users to download all five apps, or should they now just download the index app? Currently we don't have any different permissions settings between apps.

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

As i tested, if a user isn't added to an App Workspace, when create an app from this App Workspace and publish to this user, he can install the app and open the report and dashbord in this app, but if he doesn't install the app and use the link of a report belong to the app, he can't see the report for he has np permission to see it.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my organisation we have 4 apps with thematic genres e.g. Performance, Demand, Benchmarking, Audit.

In order to help new users find the report they're looking for I've created an additional 'Index' app, in which I have a report with a list of all available reports, with filtering abilities on the theme of the report and the app it lives in. This along with a report description and a link which takes the user directly to the report, which sits in another App.

My superiors have now asked me if there is any point in directing new users to download all the apps, or if we can just get them to download the Index app and have them work from there. I feel like there must be some benefits to having users download all five Apps, but I cant put my finger on it yet - any ideas?

Right now we don't have different permissions groups on apps, and each app opens onto a subset of the index as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors