Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WK
Regular Visitor

App workspaces vs MS Team workspace

Being responsible for a lot of BI-things in a department of my company I would like to test the (new) APP-workspace. At this moment I don't have the rights to create such APP-workspaces. In my request for the Power BI Admin Role (so i could create APP-Workspaces) the department responsible for (among others) the Office 365 administration replies with a 'request form' for a 'MS Teams Workspace'.

Will I be helped with this?
I thought that since this summer it was possible to have APP-Workspaces separately from group workspaces?
If i have enough rights within the new 'MS Team workspace (=group workspace?) can I add, delete (administer) the members?
Is it possible for me to have different groups of end-users of Power BI report/dashboards divided for different groups of users? (Manamement - BackOffice - Marketing - Sales) without being dependent of the department responsible for the Office 365 administration.

In my eyes I need the Power BI Admin Role or do I see this wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @WK,

Based on my research, the App Workspace(not the new one) is related to the Office 365 group. As the creator or admin of an app workspace in Power BI or in Office 365, you could manage some aspects of the workspace in Power BI. Other aspects you manage in Office 365.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-manage-app-workspace-in-power-bi-and-office-365

As the new App Workspace, all the workspace administration is in Power BI, not in Office 365. You can still add an Office 365 group to the workspace to continue managing user access to content through Office 365 groups.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Hope it could help you.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
andres777
Advocate III
Advocate III

Power BI App is an interface that allows you to List/Organize finalized reports you would like your users to run, it also allows you to include Paginated Reports (+SSRS) and other documents like PowerPoint, web links and Videos, The final interface will look cleaner and it's safer, as all users will have read-only rights.

The dashboard was meant for consolidating Power BI graphical dashboards Tiles in one report, which can come handy to display summaries from multiple dashboards.
It does not handle Paginated Reports. So 2 different uses... 

This option is may be coming to the Power BI solution, I've seen efforts from MS to integrate the two types of reports dashboards and Paginated Reports...

Teams and SharePoint workspaces are groups, they should not show up in the new version (at least for me) and I think there is a Tennant option for Administrators to turn this On/Off...
If you look in the Admin Console, and search for Workspaces, you can distinguish between both... that list can be exported to Excel so you can see the whole company list of workspaces/groups.

other info...
Workspaces vs PowerBI App...
My Power BI Analogy : think of it as when you visit a restaurant...
  Workspace     = Kitchen Area (messy, not pretty, very loud... where developers work)
  Power BI App = Restaurant Sitting Area (Pretty, safe, good music, better experience to consume the final product)

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @WK,

Based on my research, the App Workspace(not the new one) is related to the Office 365 group. As the creator or admin of an app workspace in Power BI or in Office 365, you could manage some aspects of the workspace in Power BI. Other aspects you manage in Office 365.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-manage-app-workspace-in-power-bi-and-office-365

As the new App Workspace, all the workspace administration is in Power BI, not in Office 365. You can still add an Office 365 group to the workspace to continue managing user access to content through Office 365 groups.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Hope it could help you.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors