Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

satishkbg
Frequent Visitor

App registration non-organisational azure account

I have an Azure subcription associated with my hotmail id. We use it for all our products and services hosted in azure cloud under this account. The resources include SQL DB's, Cloud-services, App-services, Storage etc and we plan to extend it to host our upcoming Datawarehouse on SQL Azure Analysis Services.

On the other hand i have a o365 account associated with my organization i work for, which comes with free Power BI license which i'm currently using to evaluate PBI Embedded in apps. I have completed testing reports embedding inside asp.net apps registered with AAD associated with my organization domain. 

My problem is, to go production, i have to register the PBI Apps in my Azure subscription associated with my hotmail id as that is where the datawarehous will be hosted. PBI App Registration doesnot allow non-organization accounts during app reg process. So what's the workaround? do i need to sign up for PBI with my hotmail account? or how do i go about it?

Satish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@satishkbg Others may have a better grasp on some of the pieces to this, but from my understanding you would need to build the embedded solution in the organizations tenant, and all users / authentication that Power BI needs or wants to do needs to be within that tenant. (I have no idea why you are running an Azure tenant on a Microsoft account for an org), but Power BI is really locked into the AAD of the organizational domain. You'd likely be able to create connections between the two tenants via guest user access for getting the data into Power BI, but from everything I know, you'd have to build the platform in the org.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@satishkbg Others may have a better grasp on some of the pieces to this, but from my understanding you would need to build the embedded solution in the organizations tenant, and all users / authentication that Power BI needs or wants to do needs to be within that tenant. (I have no idea why you are running an Azure tenant on a Microsoft account for an org), but Power BI is really locked into the AAD of the organizational domain. You'd likely be able to create connections between the two tenants via guest user access for getting the data into Power BI, but from everything I know, you'd have to build the platform in the org.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks. Well it's an old Azure subscription that i have which we still use for some of our products and azure didn't require a organization email to sign up. So we have an AAD of course in this subscription, but like you mentioned, PBI doesnt accept that. It's locked with a AAD associated with a domain and not a personal account one. 

@satishkbg I would also imagine your going to run into a bunch of issues because this is a Microsoft Account vs. Organizational Account as well...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors