Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

App owns Data - Masteruser (Pro/PPU licensed) - Do we still need capacity?

Hi,

I am a bit confused between Masteruser approach in App owns Data vs User owns Data in Power BI Embedded

Amongst other things/differences that I would like to understand, the licensing piece is something I want to understand better. From what's mentioned in other forums for "User owns data" we do NOT need capacity (A1 SKU) if both the author & consumer have Pro/PPU license.

Is this true for "App owns data - MasterUser" approach also? If the author/publisher of the report is Pro/PPU user, and the Masteruser is also a Pro/PPU license do we still need a capacity (A or EM SKU)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah any person creating datasets/reports will need a Pro/PPU license.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyclist007 

As long as the app owns data is being consumed by users who do not have Power BI licenses then you would need an A or EM SKU.

Power BI Blog

Thanks, so it basically means the Masteruser should be a Pro/PPU license holder? (and then there is not a requirement for capacity). This has not been clearly mentioned in the documentation for App owns data.

Yeah any person creating datasets/reports will need a Pro/PPU license.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ ... My question is not if the author needs the Pro/PPU license (that i understand very well).

My question is if the Masteruser whose credentials are embedded in App owns data (Embed for your customer) approach, then is there an additional need to have capacity assigned to the workspace hosting the reports or can we just continue using the "free" workspaces (workspace without A1/EM1 capacity) just as it is done for User owns data approach (where both author & consumer have a Pro license)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors