Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JeffreyZhang
Frequent Visitor

App WorkSpace inconsistency

Two things I want to ask:

1). I read somewhere on the site that app workspace differs from group workspace because no additional office 365 group will be created behind the scene. That still happens. Did I read something wrong?

2). 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-create-apps/

At the website, it says once you create APP workspace, you cannot change the Public/Private setting, but due to question 1, I can change the group setting to public or private, which changes the app workspace setting as well. Why is this happening?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JeffreyZhang,

1. All existing group workspaces can serve as app workspaces, and you can publish apps from any of these workspaces. Here’s one way app workspaces and group workspaces are different: You create an app workspace as a place to create and house a specific app. And creating app workspaces won't create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do.

2. Yes, once you create APP workspace, you cannot change the Public/Private setting. And after test, we can not change the public/private after we created it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Jeffrey

Creating workspaces still results in an Office 365 group being created behind the scenes. Creating app workspaces without creating office groups is on their roadmap.

You referenced:

scroll all the way to the FAQ where it lists the roadmap and explains the above also.

regads, Niels

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Jeffrey

Creating workspaces still results in an Office 365 group being created behind the scenes. Creating app workspaces without creating office groups is on their roadmap.

You referenced:

scroll all the way to the FAQ where it lists the roadmap and explains the above also.

regads, Niels

Excuse this newbie (where warranted): Is there a means by which I can be notified that creating app workspaces without creating office groups is in production?  I've had requests for this.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JeffreyZhang,

1. All existing group workspaces can serve as app workspaces, and you can publish apps from any of these workspaces. Here’s one way app workspaces and group workspaces are different: You create an app workspace as a place to create and house a specific app. And creating app workspaces won't create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do.

2. Yes, once you create APP workspace, you cannot change the Public/Private setting. And after test, we can not change the public/private after we created it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors