Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcary02
Frequent Visitor

App Subscriptions - Access to report versus Link to report in Power BI

Capture.PNGA co-worker and I are trying to setup a daily subscription to a specific report page in a published Power BI app within our organization. This subscription will be sent to a pre-determine distribution list. Everyone on the distribution list has a Pro account and has been given permission to the app. 

We've successfully setup the subscription, however, we're now receiving requests to grant access after the users click 'Go to report' link within the email. We thought since the user has permission to access the app we wouldn’t need to grant additional permissions.  

I believe the issue is we selected the 'Access to report' option in the subscription settings, but I'm not sure. I can't find any documentation describing this scenario. Should this setting be unchecked?

What's the differnce between these two settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jcary02,

there is a difference between sharing a Dashboard or Report from an App or from the workspace.

The picture you are showing is (if I'm correct) from the Subscribe button in the workspace. Because that's what I also see when I try to subscribe from a workspace. (The link you are sharing is then also the link the the report in the workspace, to which those users don't have access).

But when you subscribe from an App, this option to Access to this report is grayed out (like in the picture below), because you can't access the report itself from the App. Does that make sense?

image.png

So when sharing from a workspace the URL becomes something like:

From the App it looks like this (which should be your URL according to your question):

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jcary02,

there is a difference between sharing a Dashboard or Report from an App or from the workspace.

The picture you are showing is (if I'm correct) from the Subscribe button in the workspace. Because that's what I also see when I try to subscribe from a workspace. (The link you are sharing is then also the link the the report in the workspace, to which those users don't have access).

But when you subscribe from an App, this option to Access to this report is grayed out (like in the picture below), because you can't access the report itself from the App. Does that make sense?

image.png

So when sharing from a workspace the URL becomes something like:

From the App it looks like this (which should be your URL according to your question):

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thank you! Subscribing from the workspace must have been the issue. It seems to be working now.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

They are probably going to the Report directly via that subscription link versus going through the published app.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors