Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

App Publish Security Issue! Can't display visual

Hello! I think we have this issue and looking to see if others are having it too.

Situation:  v2 Workspaces are called Workspace A & B

We're housing a dataset on workspace A, defining row-level security roles in the dataset .pbix and assigning users to them in Power BI Service once it's published. We are sharing a report connected to that live dataset into workspace B.  Which means a shared dataset is now inherited in Workspace B. We know the security for the dataset should also be inherited in workspace B because it is a shared datset. We built a dashboard in workspace B off of that report, and are deploying a Power BI app in Workspace B by sharing the app to individual usernames.  Our users are NOT members of the workspaces- we just want them to consume the app content. We are on Power BI Premium. We have confirmed that the row level security roles work for all users who are accessing the reports themselves directly via report share.

However, when a user opens the app in any device, and is NOT a member of both workspaces A and B, they randomly see some 'Can't display the visual' errors on SELECT visuals, but not all!  They are all driven off of the dataset that has been shared into that workspace via report publish.  Any ideas on why this is happening? Users shouldn't have to be members of workspaces to be shared a Power BI app right?? Is this an outstanding bug?   To keep it simple, I mentioned one dataset, but we have 2 datasets driving app content but they are all governed the same way.

Thanks for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi hnjames0,

You said that some users can't view report, right? I want to know whether they are members or are in group in RLS role? And you said ther will see "can't display the visual " randomly? So did this occur by accident? I will try to reproduce this problem  in my environment and inform you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some users, yes. They are in the Global RLS roles we set up which allows them to see everything.  Other Global users who are members of the source dataset and shared dataset workspaces are seeing everything. But when people are just given the app access and are assigned roles to the datasets, they cannot see random tiles on the reports. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors