Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

App Confusion does everything need to be in one App Workspace?

More App confusion

Im reading that its about quickly deploying lots of dashboards and reports to Multiple users

I read an example where people need to see information from multiple aras. For example

Sales, HR, Marketing, Opportunity Analysis, Distribution, Production, Finance and Accounting

If you wanted to do all these areas do they all have to be within one App Workspace?

I was thinking that you would have App workspaces for all 7 areas but that means that there would be 7 Apps all containing the reports Dashboards and Datasets for each area?

It seems wrong to me to have everything in one Workspace?

Also does Apps replace Shared with Me? I dont understand why Shared with me still exists not we have apps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DebbieE Deploying rapidly to many users can be accomplished when you are using AD groups to share to instead of people, it doesn't matter what object you want to share (app, dashboard, report). The value of "Shared with Me" means that all the content you share with the end user is in a single location that they can easily search for this different content - and still select the workspace it came from if they want to narrow it down.

Apps offer up the ability to share a bunch of stuff, so I agree in that respect, but it isn't the magic bullet, it depends on the audience. I would not try to consolidate everything under a single workspace. I would have a seperate workspace, and if you want to share via apps then they would need to know where the report is prior to seeing it. (7 apps)

I would say each sharing method has its place. I would say that using Apps is much better than adding viewers to a workspace, but the challenge with both is that end users need to know where a report/dashboard lives before being able to find it vs. "Shared with me" - its just a quick search.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@DebbieE Deploying rapidly to many users can be accomplished when you are using AD groups to share to instead of people, it doesn't matter what object you want to share (app, dashboard, report). The value of "Shared with Me" means that all the content you share with the end user is in a single location that they can easily search for this different content - and still select the workspace it came from if they want to narrow it down.

Apps offer up the ability to share a bunch of stuff, so I agree in that respect, but it isn't the magic bullet, it depends on the audience. I would not try to consolidate everything under a single workspace. I would have a seperate workspace, and if you want to share via apps then they would need to know where the report is prior to seeing it. (7 apps)

I would say each sharing method has its place. I would say that using Apps is much better than adding viewers to a workspace, but the challenge with both is that end users need to know where a report/dashboard lives before being able to find it vs. "Shared with me" - its just a quick search.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for that.

Its getting a little clearer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors