cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Re: Anyone got the new Analyze in Excel feature working?

Also are there any ports that need to be open to connect to the dataset?

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

I am having the same issue. I first see the message: "The HTTP server returned the following error: Forbidden."

I try to connect using my Power BI account, but end up with the message "An operation that uses the database driver could not be completed."

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Provider=MSOLAP.7;
Integrated Security=ClaimsToken;
Persist Security Info=True;
Initial Catalog=****;
Data Source=https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api;
Location="https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/xmla?vs=sobe_wowvirtualserver&db=****";
MDX Compatibility=1;
Safety Options=2;
MDX Missing Member Mode=Error;
Identity Provider=AAD;
Update Isolation Level=2

So I checked on my other AAD domain joined computer and sure enough that computer worked fine with connection to that power bi domain BUT NOT to my other power bi domain - the same situation I experienced in my previous post.

So here are my questions @tarostok - is the Azure AAD domain join a necessary condition to connect to the service?  Also, can we connect to two different domains on the same computer (larger question)? Tal, feel free to contact me as well austin@powerpivotpro.com

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂
Highlighted
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

If you received "Forbidden" error it should not be related to the data, Excel SQL etc.

Did you get "Forbidden"?

If the answer to the above is yes, when you opened the downloaded ODC file, did you get AAD sign-in window?

Thanks,

Tal

Highlighted
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi all,

A question and a possible solution for those who got "Forbidden" error:

When you opened the ODC file did you get AAD sign-in window (see picture below)?

If the answer is no please try the following solution:

1. Open your ODC file in notepad.

2. Inside <odc:ConnectionString> tag add the following property: ;User ID= your PowerBI user name;

3. Save the ODC file.

4. Open it in Excel.

Now you should get the AAD sign-in window and successfully log-in.

Highly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Tal

AAD sign-in.png

Highlighted

Hi Tal

I have tried what you recommendation but I still get the same forbidden error.  THen I get this popup (same as always happens) however now my username is pre-popluated (it was not like this previously).  The Password box was blank.  I enter my password (shown below) 

login.png

Then I get this error shown below.

error2.png

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Highlighted

@tarostok wrote:

... when you opened the downloaded ODC file, did you get AAD sign-in window?

In my case, the first time I did this I got some Power BI authenticaion window - I believe it looked like the one you posted.  It failed on login, then from then on I always get the forbidden error followed by the SSAS login window.

login.png

I tried to clear the credentials on my PC to get the first login page back, but that was no successful

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Tarostok,

So is it true that we need to have the Pro version to use the Excel Analyze Feature?

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Taro,

Not familiar with ODC script. Thus need your advise is the below script to include the User ID in ODC file is correct? I'm still not able to the AAD sign-in windows prompt. Note: I'm on Free Power BI version.

</odc:ConnectionString ="User ID = PowerBI user name">

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

sorry I've entered the User ID = BI account name at the wrong place. Corrected as shown but still no AAD prompted.

<odc:ConnectionString>Provider=MSOLAP.7;User ID= BI account name; .....

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.