Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Analyze in Excel -- then add a new measure?

I have a dataset in the Power BI service.

I discovered that if I create a new .pbix file with Power BI Desktop, and I use the "Power BI service" live connection to connect to my dataset, then in my Power BI Desktop file I can create new measures based on that dataset. The new measures exist locally in this .pbix file only. Very cool.

With Analyze in Excel, can I create my own custom measure, in a similar fashion? I tried, and...

• Unlike an Excel workbook having its own Power Pivot model, if I right-click in the Fields area, there is no option for "Add Measure."
  • Unlike a standard Excel pivot table, I cannot add a Calculated Field by going to Analyze --> Fields, Items & Sets --> Calculated Field.

Drat! Am I missing something? Is there some way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@kevhav,

Please vote up the above idea and add your comments there. Once the requirement is mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@kevhav,

Please vote up the above idea and add your comments there. Once the requirement is mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I found this idea, requesting that "Analyze in Excel" have the capability of creating implicit measures, by adding a numeric field (but not a measure) to the "Values" field well. The idea is even in "PLANNED" status.

That is similar...and would probably solve some of our requirements.

But it would also be good if we could define our own explicit DAX measures, on the fly, in an Excel workbook using Analyze in Excel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors