Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Analyze in Excel only for one group -- what options i need to enable in the tenant

Hi,

I have a dataset in the powerbi and I whant to share in 2 different ways.

- Sharing the powerbi report link as usual -- to do that i have a group of users in my azure and i have enabled the read permisions in the dataset and report for this group

- Analyze in excel -- i want that only 1 person can use the analyze in excel. For that i have created another group in my azure with this person inside only. The idea is that he will be able to refresh de excel file only and if he sends the excel to other people, they can't refresh.

In the second point is where i have more doubts, in the last updates of powerbi the admin tenant has been increased with new features and i'm not sure what option or options i need to enable for only one part of the organization or not. in old versions there is export data and analyse in excel but now i'm not sure. can someone help me on this?

In addition to this and clarify more,

- I want that all the people of my organization (that can access to the report, it is managed in the managed permissions) can export data from any visual and

- Only 1 azure group can use/refresh the excel analyze in excel (in case they share the excel by email). So, only the people inside the azure group (only one eprson) will be able to refresh that excel

Edit: Every people has PowerBI Pro account. No premium

Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon ,

In my option, analyze in excel is a type of live connction to power bi dataset. If you just want to limit analyze in excel , you just need to use option1. But if you disable option3, the anaylze in excel will not work any more.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks @v-deddai1-msft for the response and sorry for me delay in response

I see 3 options in the tenant that are confused for me

dobregon_0-1611829380812.png

dobregon_1-1611829396559.png

dobregon_2-1611829405181.png

These are 3 options related to export and anylze in excel. I want to have 
- export excel for all people in organization

- Analyze in excel only for one group of users (azure group)

The 1st option i have limited to specific group becasue it seems only for Analyze in Excel

The 2nd option it is clear about export excel, for that reason it is enabled for entire organization

but i have doubts about the 3rd option, can you explain? i see the learn more but i dont nknow if i limited to specific group if this will be affect to exoprt data too, etc

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Hi @dobregon ,

The third option will not limit export data but  will limlit analyze in Excel .

Users in the organization can use Power BI service Live Connect. Allowing live connections also allows users

to Analyze in Excel.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks @v-deddai1-msft but i have some doubts

If the third option limits the analyze in excel and not the export data, what goal is the first option?

At this moment i have the first option limit to group of analyst (people that only need analyze in excel) and 2º option (export data) and 3º option are to entire organization

For me, the 1st and 3rd option are similar... at this moment with me configuration, the analyze in excel is limited or i need to limit it in both and not only in one?

Regards

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon ,

For analyse in excel you can enable "Allow live connections" in admin portal:

Capture1.PNG

Please  refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal#allow-live-connections

For export data from visual:

To export the data from a visual, you need to have build permission for the dataset. Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data#limitations-and... you should enable export data from visual before you publish report from desktop to service:

Capture2.PNG

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors