Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abpgupta
Post Patron
Post Patron

Analyze in Excel like Download option for Excel Links

Hi All

I am creating a pre-built Pivot Table for Excel Consumers and want to provide a link in PBIX report. However, sharepoint link just opens in new browser window. I would like it to work similar to "Analyze in Excel" Drop down when a button or Image is clicked.

Do you know if it is possible to set url to download excel directly to Local machine?

Thanks for inputs!

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In my opinion paginated reports are the antithesis to Analyze in Excel. Why did you go with paginated reports in the first place - did your users demand them? Have they ever experienced regular reports in the Power BI service?

Even if you include  a pre-filtered Excel file that connects to the dataset you still need to have each of your users "install the app" as a one time action before they can do anything.

It feels to me as if you are trying to find workarounds, not solutions.

As I said earlier,  Paginated report is used to provide formatted outputs for multiple pages to users similar to they have functionality using other tools Tableau.  PBIX doesn't have capability to download all data in same format shown on screen. It's downloaded as image for PDF and excel raw data is not have formatted outputs.

Please suggest. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide more context. This sounds like a rather, uhm, inventive way of using Power BI.

Since we can provide using Pivot Table option within PBIX and is very fast to download in Excel compared to Paginated report, I am creating pre-built Pivot table connected to dataset for user to consume data locally as well.
I have put a link in report; however, it opens up in browser and throws warnings; shows hidden field list thus users have to go few more clicks to download Excel for all functionality. 

I would like to avoid extra browser step here.

Paginated report's initial rendering time and  export performance are not acceptable to users compared to other tools  IBM Cognos and Tableau; hence looking for clean and faster way to provide export functionality.

Hope I am clear. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors