Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adri_s
Frequent Visitor

Analyze in Excel - Session expired

I have an issue with Analyze in Excel since I started using it months ago. After a few minutes (5 - 10) without refreshing the data on the Excel file connected to the Power BI datasource, when I try to refresh or filter the data again, the following warning message pops up and is not able to connect to the Power BI datasource.

Screencap 1 - copia.png(The first line translation would be: "We couldn’t get data from the external source. This is the error message that appears:" )

Usually, the issue solves itself trying to refresh the data again once or twice until it finally connects to the database, but this should not be happening when the connection has only been inactive for a few minutes.

I have been updating to the latest version of the OLAP connector every once in a while, but it has not solved this problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Sumsar
Helper II
Helper II

Same issue here, this practically makes it impossible to share the solution with the business users 😞

Check if you can access the Dataset with a Power BI User in the Service. You need live connect permission. Currently we have very good experience. Except that Performance from native Power BI Reports is much better than Excel, but for people who love Excel it is fine.   

Thank you, yes I can access it via Live connection, the error kicks in when I select something other than default values in the slicers, and almost every time I try to refresh the data in the workbook..

UPDATE: To give a bit more info, this used to work just fine, til I had to move the dataset to a new tenant and pointed to the new connection file I created for this new dataset. 

I just found a way to get around this issue, which is not at all ideal, that is delete all the pivot tables in the report (which are very time consuming to set up since they are very much customized), and then insert new ones and point the slicers to these new pivots, geez.... 

ProdwareSaM
Frequent Visitor

I have the same Issue. Excel connected to a Tabular Power BI Dataset:

ProdwareSaM_0-1614001811404.png

Same thing here, except I have felt that the performance has clearly decreased the last 1½ year.

This feature is basically useless as it works right now.

daamruth
Helper II
Helper II

Hi guys, 

any news on that topic, we are running into the same issue. 

Thanks

Daniel

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@adri_s

Can you capture the Fiddler trace when this warning message occurs? 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors