cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Analyze in Excel: Initialization of the data source failed

Hi all,

 

Trying to get Analyze in Excel working. I tried it with a PBIX uploaded from desktop. I've installed the OLEDB package. I get the following error: Initialization of the data source failed. Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is still available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database.

 

Here is the data source:

Provider=MSOLAP.7;
Integrated Security=ClaimsToken;
Identity Provider=AAD;
Data Source=https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api;;
Initial Catalog=sobe_wowvirtualserver-xxxx;
Location=https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net/xmla?vs=sobe_wowvirtualserver&db=xxxx;
MDX Compatibility= 1;
MDX Missing Member Mode= Error;
Safety Options= 2;
Update Isolation Level= 2

 

I'm Azure AD joined.

 

[Edit] I am using Excel 2016. When I try to open the connection in Power Pivot, and  test the connection, I get: the test connection failed because the provider could not be initialized. If you contact Microsoft support about this error, provide the following message: Failed to connect to the server. Reason: Invalid value for key 'integrated security'.

 

Feels like the new OLEDB install didn't work, though it reported as installed succesfully. I see it listed in Programs and Features "Microsoft AS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 2016 RC1".

 

I'm running 64-bit office.

 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

I had this exact error. I uninstalled the add on and then re installed making sure to choose 64bit. After that, it allowed me to log in and export for analysis. While I had installed the correct version, a coworker installed the incorrect version. A clean install solved the issue for both of us.





Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!




View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

I had this exact error. I uninstalled the add on and then re installed making sure to choose 64bit. After that, it allowed me to log in and export for analysis. While I had installed the correct version, a coworker installed the incorrect version. A clean install solved the issue for both of us.





Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!




View solution in original post

Highlighted

Nice kcantor! Uninstalling and reinstalling worked. I'm almost positive I installed the right one the first time... but still - thank you. Sending you a virtual beer!

 

-Jeff

Highlighted

I'm still getting this issue, where do you select the x64 version? I dont seem to have the option?

When I click analyse in excel I get the following

Excel.GIF

 

I have installed (and reinstalled this) but at no point does it give me the option to chose x86 or x64. Am I missing something?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

We have just release an improvement to "Analyze in Excel" setup/download experience

1) 1 download link - we auto detect the OS (operating system) bit-ness (32 or 64 bit) and accordingly provide 1 download link

2) Download menu - when you choose "Analyze in Excel" from the download menu you get a dialog with 1 download link (we auto detect the right link) and link to "Analyze in Excel" help page

 

Download_Menu1.PNG

 

Download_Menu.png

Highlighted

In the last week I have just started to get this error. I have downloaded the add-in, uninstalled it and reinstalled to no avail. Is there a way to force 64bit compatibility at the time of install?

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I did everything in this post and I'm still getting this issue!! 😞 😞 😞

Highlighted

I'm getting this when I try to use Analyze in Excel and many of my co-workers are experiencing the same.  Everything was working up until a couple week ago.  With so many people experiencing this, I suspect something on the backend broke?

Highlighted

Try to change the provide in connection string by updating the Provider=MSOLAP.7 to Provider=MSOLAP.8. Go to DATA tab >> Queries & Connections >> right click on connection name >> Properties >> Definition tab >> Connection string. I don´t think this will be a final solution, but maybe it will help for now.

Highlighted

That did work for my colleague and got me past this error message, but now I get this error:

 

"The following system error occurred: (The operation completed successfully.)."

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors