Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Analyze in Excel: Initialization of the data source failed

When I try that I get the following error message:

Selected user account does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft' and cannot access the application.

'https://pbiwiki.com/simplesaml/www/module.php/saml/sp/metadata.php/default-sp' in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Please use a different account. 

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Same boat for me.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Try the following workaround:

1. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...

2.    Close all office applications

3.    Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140 and rename the adal.dll to adal_orig.dll (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files / ProgramFilesX64)

4.    Copy the adal.dll from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130 to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140  (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files / ProgramFilesX64)

5.    Open the odc file and see if it works for you

At any point you can go back to the original adal file.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

That didn't work. Possibly because the AS OLEDB version is only 110 on my system.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\110

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Installation step works for me

1. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...

Thanks !!!

Highlighted

Hello,

I am having issue where my analyze in excel is greyed out.  Any ideas on why it is greyed out?

Highlighted

Dear Jllelis,

You are a genius. Kudos.

You can not understand how much you've helped me. @jllelis

Actually, I am a good user of Excel for some time. I like to use queries and data relationships to calculate profit on foreign exchange mega data. It happened that my Excel Office 2016 was uninstalled by the IT department after a year of activity. Another IT staff came and installed Office 2016 Professional Plus and I was happy to get back to my data and peform my calculations as usual.

The first query I refreshed couldn't. I thought it was a rather complex query. I started simple queries from simple tables but neither could load. I asked Microsoft, by default, they said, this is due to "Old PowerPivot Add-Ins" to put it simple. I went on many forums, tried almost every proposed solution:
-Re-installing

-Removing & Replacing Add-Ins

-Running latest office updates

I tried numerous options and none seemed to be proper.

When I tried @jllelis option to install "Microsoft AS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 2016" available here and it worked flawlessly and all my data refreshe and loaded perfectly.

Thank you @jllelis

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Kudoed Authors