Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Analyze in Excel: Data could not be retrieved from database.

I have several users that are no longer able to use the Analyze in Excel feature. Build permissions have been granted and global build permissions are turned on for the app. Through testing, the only thing that seems to get it to work is making them a member of the workspace which is not a feasible option.

This is the error message users are met with when attempting to use Analyze in Excel.

rami_el_0-1664203569090.png

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my research, it requires Build permission on the dataset if we want to use Analyze in Excel feature. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions

"Build permission is only relevant for datasets. When you give users Build permission, they can build new content on a dataset, such as reports, dashboards, pinned tiles from Q&A, and Insights Discovery. They can also build new content on the dataset outside Power BI, such as Excel sheets via Analyze in Excel, XMLA, and export underlying data."

In addition, Guest users can't analyze Power BI data in Excel for datasets sent from a tenant different from the one hosting the datasets.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Jay.

Thank you for your response.

Those who are having problems already have build permissions on the dataset and users are allowed to connect to the app's underlying dataset within the app.

Oddly enough, a user who is getting the error message screenshot in my original post, is able to work with a file connected to the dataset when I send it to him. Any thoughts?

Hi rami_el,

Did you figure out what causing problem?

We have simmilar error when user trying to refresh report to SSAS server.

The situation is odd because error will not appear if on begining filter will be used.

I think this is correlated with last MS Office update - we are checking this scenario right now.

(On old 2016 Office without last updates all worked fine)

Please let me know where you are with this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still haven't found a solution.

Let me know if you come accross one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors