Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

E__
Helper III
Helper III

Analyse in Excel for shared datasets

Hi,

I'm trying to give my users the option to use "Analyse in Excel" for a shared dataset. However, even if I assign build rights on the shared dataset (which is in another workspace) to the users, the "Analyse in Excel"-option remains greyed out. Is there a way to make the option available? Which permissions should I set for users to able to analyse a shared dataset in Excel through the app?

In other apps, where the reports are build on a dataset that is in the app, the user can use "Analyse in Excel". The only difference in permissions here is that the user has the App & Build permissions, while on the shared dataset this is Read & Build.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Eva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @E__,

AFAIK, these features are in preview so they may not fully compatible with all GA features.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you confirm if this issue only appears on 'shared dataset' and 'build' permission users.   If this is a case, please direct publish your report to correspond workspace instead of use preview 'sharing dataset' feature.
In addition, you can also report this to power bi team for fixing the integration issue between 'analyze in excel' and new preview features.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @E__,

AFAIK, these features are in preview so they may not fully compatible with all GA features.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you confirm if this issue only appears on 'shared dataset' and 'build' permission users.   If this is a case, please direct publish your report to correspond workspace instead of use preview 'sharing dataset' feature.
In addition, you can also report this to power bi team for fixing the integration issue between 'analyze in excel' and new preview features.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft  Thanks for the info, I will report the issue. 

Hi there

I would like to add that a single ODC file can be used by everyone who has got access to the dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What happens if you download the ODC file (with you being an admin and having access to the dataset)

And then letting the users open the ODC file? I am certain that should work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  I agree that would also work. But since we are a large organisation, it is not feasible for us to have to provide ODC-files to each user that wants to access the dataset in Excel. That's why we want to provide the access through the app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors