Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StephanDenker
Frequent Visitor

Analyse Power BI Cube in Excel offline Pivot

Hey all,

is there any possibility to provide offline Data Cube for Excel Pivot-Tabel created with Power BI Data?

I'm providing a large Pivot-Table (~30 Fields and a lot of measures) which bases on Power BI Data-Set ("Analysze in Excel"-funciton). Sometimes offline usage would be helpful. Afterwards Updating data is not needed.

Trying to use offline-olap function I get an error without errormessage. 

Thanks in advance and BR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @StephanDenker ,

First, let me help clarify some of the terminology.  You can export data from Power BI.  But, it is not a "cube".  You can export the data based on the visual.  A table visual will probably come the closest to giving you a massive list of data.  

Second, let me see if I can help with the overall question.  Power BI service, by definition, is an online tool and there is no "offline" capability.  If you are not internet connected, you are not able to hit the data.  So, you will have to export the data from the visual and use that in an offline capacity.  Exported data that you are using in Excel will not "write back" at any point natively to the originating data.  You can in Power BI create a DataSet and then have Excel hit that dataset and use it.  Again, though, even though you are not in Excel, the Dataset is online and therefore you must be online.

Another option is to just use the Power BI Desktop localy and copy the queries into Excel and then you are not using the Power BI Service at all.  

Another option would be to download the pbix file from the service that is using the dataset and then you could use it locally.  Again, no refreshing ability if you are offline though.

All of this assumes that you are using data sources that are local and not online in any way as well.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @StephanDenker ,

First, let me help clarify some of the terminology.  You can export data from Power BI.  But, it is not a "cube".  You can export the data based on the visual.  A table visual will probably come the closest to giving you a massive list of data.  

Second, let me see if I can help with the overall question.  Power BI service, by definition, is an online tool and there is no "offline" capability.  If you are not internet connected, you are not able to hit the data.  So, you will have to export the data from the visual and use that in an offline capacity.  Exported data that you are using in Excel will not "write back" at any point natively to the originating data.  You can in Power BI create a DataSet and then have Excel hit that dataset and use it.  Again, though, even though you are not in Excel, the Dataset is online and therefore you must be online.

Another option is to just use the Power BI Desktop localy and copy the queries into Excel and then you are not using the Power BI Service at all.  

Another option would be to download the pbix file from the service that is using the dataset and then you could use it locally.  Again, no refreshing ability if you are offline though.

All of this assumes that you are using data sources that are local and not online in any way as well.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you for explanation, @collinq !
I think I have to export a big data Table then following by building a new pivot.

The offline OLAP-Function let me think that there could be a solution.

Does it make sence to open a new post specially fot this error?

Hi @StephanDenker ,

Yes, make a new post for the different issue.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors