Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kk2222
Regular Visitor

Am I able to refresh without using gateway if SQL is Azure but hosted by a vendor

Hello,

Hope this is the right place to post and someone is able to answer,

I have published a report to my departments workgroup which has a single data source which I selected as Azure SQL with basic login credentials which accesses one of our vendors servers I am told is Azure.

When I try to refresh I am prompted with a gateway connection problem (image 1)

When I nagivate to schedule a refresh it is greyed out (image 2)

Thanks! let me know if I missed any format guidelines

Regards,

1.jpg2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kk2222
Regular Visitor

Thanks everyone, 

IT was able to provide me with priveleges to configure the enterprise gateway and I can not auto refresh.

It sounds like Azure doesn't necessarily mean ability to refresh without gateway, the database is housed by one of our vendors and not within our intranet.

I am able to auto refresh successfully without gateway to another azure server which is hosted by us. 

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions 🙂

Keith

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kk2222
Regular Visitor

Thanks everyone, 

IT was able to provide me with priveleges to configure the enterprise gateway and I can not auto refresh.

It sounds like Azure doesn't necessarily mean ability to refresh without gateway, the database is housed by one of our vendors and not within our intranet.

I am able to auto refresh successfully without gateway to another azure server which is hosted by us. 

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions 🙂

Keith

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kk2222 ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1595224472038.png

Didn't these two suggestions help you?

Please show the gateway configuration.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey Lionel, thx for responding but no lol... my subject line indicated I was looking to connect without the gateway.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@kk2222 

Can you able to ping the vendor's machine(Azure SQL) from the On-premises data gateway machine.

If not, please check with your internal it team for the help.

If yes, Please raise a support ticket to investigate the issue by clicking on "show technical details".

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

@venal 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"Azure"  and "Azure" are two different things. What they mean is that the database has to be directly available on the interwebs, with no firewall between it and the Azure Service Bus.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors