Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternatives to RLS and dynamic RLS when there are multiple users for each role

Hi,

In my customer data, we have several Regions like US, UK, China, etc. Now, customer wants that the dashboards should be Region-specific and users of a particular region only should see data of that region. 

Firstly, they don't want to go for RLS approach since there are large number of users and customer does not want to manually add all the users for each region role. 

Please guide if there are any alternatives to show region-specific views/reports to the users belonging to that region.

Thanks..!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

I cannot find any alternative option to RLS currently. If your customer doesn't want to use RLS because they don't want to manually add all the users, there is an alternative approach to add the users into security groups in bulk and then add these security groups as members of corresponding RLS roles on the Service. 

If your customer is using Azure Active Directory (Azure AD), you can bulk add group members by using Azure AD Portal. You can also manage group members on Microsoft 365 admin center or bulk add members into groups using Power Shell. 

In addition, here is a detailed guidance on two ways to setting RLS in Power BI.

https://key2consulting.com/how-to-setup-row-level-security-rls-in-microsoft-power-bi/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

I cannot find any alternative option to RLS currently. If your customer doesn't want to use RLS because they don't want to manually add all the users, there is an alternative approach to add the users into security groups in bulk and then add these security groups as members of corresponding RLS roles on the Service. 

If your customer is using Azure Active Directory (Azure AD), you can bulk add group members by using Azure AD Portal. You can also manage group members on Microsoft 365 admin center or bulk add members into groups using Power Shell. 

In addition, here is a detailed guidance on two ways to setting RLS in Power BI.

https://key2consulting.com/how-to-setup-row-level-security-rls-in-microsoft-power-bi/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jing Zhang for guiding me on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors