Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amoore5156
Frequent Visitor

Alter Report Filters Based On Recipient

Is there any functionality in Power BI that can filter reports based on the reciever of a given report/dashboard? For example, lets say I am working with clients A through Z and I create a master report that contains standard report elements that all clients need to recieve. Can I send out that master report to client A, with data filtered to just client A? I know it is possible to duplicate the report so that I would have copies of the master report for clients A through Z but I would really like to be able to just have one single report to manage, and filter the report when it gets shared with a client. Is there any feature like this in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes. you can use the row level security.

1. use the RSL in service version (click elipsis on dataset then security). This is super easy but the RSL is still beta and will be overridden on data refresh.

2. use DAX function username() as a filter. This works if your table contains all your users ID's assigned to the correct regionalities. Then just join region[reagion_name] to fact[region_name] (or whatever it might be).

However make sure in your user table you have email address of a user as username() in power bi desktop will return domain\username while in power bi service it will return email address of logged in user

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes. you can use the row level security.

1. use the RSL in service version (click elipsis on dataset then security). This is super easy but the RSL is still beta and will be overridden on data refresh.

2. use DAX function username() as a filter. This works if your table contains all your users ID's assigned to the correct regionalities. Then just join region[reagion_name] to fact[region_name] (or whatever it might be).

However make sure in your user table you have email address of a user as username() in power bi desktop will return domain\username while in power bi service it will return email address of logged in user

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors