Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stuck1
Frequent Visitor

Allowing trusted external users access to browse dashboards?

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with this. I've been using the PBI Report Server for years and I now need to better understand how the Service works. There is a lot of terminolgy for me to learn. Here's my scenario:

I've built a report in a new workspace and I now want to allow a group of users from another organisation to view that report. I don't want anyone else to be able to access the report.

If someone could point me in the right direction (documentaiton , videos, etc.) I'd be grateful. For example:

• What do my admin need to do in order to set this up for me. I'm not admin, but I'll probably have to walk them through it.
  • What do I need (license wise).
  • What do the external users need (license wise).

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User
4 REPLIES 4
Stuck1
Frequent Visitor

Hi @djurecicK2 and @collinq .

Thanks for the replies. It seems that Azure B2B is the most efficent route, but it looks like I or the organisation need Premium Capacity as my external users won't have Power BI Pro or Premium Per User licenses. I'm enquiring as to what license we have.

If we have PPU, then I just need to create a new workspace, a new report and then invite users that has been granted access by our Admin (on domain name, email address or security group) via the Azure AD. These users/groups should pop up when I start to search in the Share prompt. From there I can fiddle with the various permissions/rights that each user has, as I'm admin for the Report and the Workspace.

I'm learning!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @Stuck1 ,

In addition to the link sent by @djurecicK2 , you might review this one:  Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

This article is very helpful, but I find it a little hard to follow and had to explore and double check a few of the points it was making.  It was a great start. Thanks for sharing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors